Shower screens on baths: up-to-date view

Dear All,

Not a new topic I know, but I wondered whether there were any new opinions/products/preferences.

I am installing a new (shower)bath, + new shower over it.

I know that glass hinged screens need a lot of cleaning and often have an unsightly support arm, and are pretty unsightly in their own right.

Has anyone come across any loose or folding curtain or roll-down blind solutions they would recommend?

Cheers.

Chris

Reply to
cskrimshire

No, they don't. A quick squeegee-over every few showers. Takes a couple of seconds, and a shower squeegee costs less than a quid from the Swedish Embassy.

It's only when people don't do that that the watermarks build up quickly.

Reply to
Adrian

These things strike me as an accident waiting to happen. Much better use a shower curtain. There were two of these glass jobbies here but both gone now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes. Especially bad in homes with little children, or old folk. Curtains are much safer.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Ghastly clingy things.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh yes! YES!

Reply to
Tim Streater

If you decide to take the cheap option of a curtain, I've found cotton ones last many times longer, don't suffer cling and are more mould resistant as long as you lift them off the bath after use. They need washing at 60.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or use one of the shower cleaner sprays, the Aldi one being the best I have used.

And shower curtains go grossly slimy....

Reply to
David Lang

Outasight

The shower curtain concertinas back to the wall and then the top supporting arm folds down against the wall enclosing the curtain. Have had one for 9 years now in guest bathroom Had to replace the supporting gas strut last year. The curtain has surprisingly never gone manky and has cleaned up well when necessary.

Looks neat folded away , doesnt look so good in use but works.

Reply to
Robert

S'gonna rot long before it's 60, Shirley?

Reply to
Tim Streater

More fool you. Its perfectly possible to do then with toughened glass that will survive anything fine. In fact when my patio doors were first released, the sales booster actually showed them being attacked with a sledge hammer and surviving fine. That's a bit sales bullshitty because a sharp stone can break them but even you should have noticed that there aren't too many sharp stones in most shower recesses.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

More fool you, again.

Reply to
Hilo Black

s/products/preferences.

unsightly support arm, and are pretty unsightly in their own right.

lutions they would recommend?

We find shower screens are too short, i.e. do not reach far enough across t he bath, so water can overshoot. But finding a good shower curtain that is heavy enough to not billow is difficult. The fabric ones go mouldy if left in contact with the side of the bath, since the bottom section does not dry quickly enough. We currently have a cheap PEVA shower curtain with "tablecloth" weights on the bottom. The weights swing around a bit and "clonk" on the bath ! Not really an answer to your question but we have not found the perfect sol ution. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

+2
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

They are not bad if you do not use bar soap.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There's a standard type of cloth, but I can't think of the name. Somewhere between net curtain and bedsheet in weight. Ask a sewing newsgroup/forum. You can buy ready made curtain-like things made from it.

IME only if not lifted off the bath for a moment after use. That way only some of it is left touching the sides.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr