Fixing Shower Screens

I am thinking of replacing a shower curtain with a glass shower screens. My only concearn is that the tiles are not flat, they have ridges. How do shower screens fit to the tiles? Does it require a flat surface for fitting or has the fixing edge got a rubber seal which allows for such tile ridges?

Reply to
vw-stuff

With or without a rubber seal I suggest you'd need to put a bead of silicone sealant over the join.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Mark where the Shower screen fits on the tiles and remove the ridges=20 with an angle grinder with stone cutting wheel, and as said once fitted=20 seal with silicon.

--=20 =AE=D6=D0 Remove spamtrap to reply.

Reply to
Rod

Then remove bath and throw it away due to many scratches in the surface from tile dust (even if you cover it well first!). While your doing this you may want to remove the damaged tiles where angle grinder has slipped/grabbed and retile as necessary! Plus if you ever need a new screen you will be stuck trying to find one of the same, or similar, dimension for the wall channel.

DON'T use an angle grinder to do this. As we haven't seen your tiles it is difficult to visualise the problem, but surely the ridges cannot be that deep, use silicon as suggested after you have drilled the fixing holes and are happy with the position. If necessary don't use the manufacturers fixing holes drill your own to coincide with the tops of the ridges.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I did think the angle grinder was a little extreme!! The tile ridges are about 5 mm high and 3mm wide. Obviously the shower screen cannot sit flush on tiles.

May have to stick with the shower curtain.

Reply to
vw-stuff

I don't see the problem. Why not use the silicone sealant as I suggested. Even if the tiles were flat you'd still need to use it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

What would I use as packers though on the flat part of the tile to bring level upto the height of the ridge.

Reply to
vw-stuff

You wouldn't need packers. Drill holes (say three) in the frame edge where the tiles have a ridge (so that the frame is not pulled down into emptiness by the screws) and fix the frame with screws. Then put sealant along each side. If none goes into the gaps then it won't matter. It'll never move or leak.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

The ridges though are only 2-3m wide (like little points). I am not going to be able to drill through the ridge, drill bit will keep slipping off either side. Unless I cut out a "V" groove in the shower screen edge where the ridges are so the frame sits flush to the tiles then screw as normal, then seal the edges like you suggest.

Reply to
vw-stuff

Drill a hole in a bit of wood and hold the wood where you want the hole in the tile and drill through. The wood will stop the drill bit from sliding.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Do you know, I've been DIY-ing for more years than I wish to remember and I've always used sticky tape over the hole to be drilled. This sounds like a canny idea that I will use next time.......Never too old to learn new tricks !! Thankyou kind sir Richard

Reply to
Richard