Shower bar mixer repair

I have a no-name bar shower mixer that needs the temp turned up ever higher to get a decent temperature shower. Standard chromed bar, knob at each end, water outlet at one end nearest the on/off tap and temperature setting at the other end.

I suspect the thermostat needs changing. Are generic parts available for these? I expect they all come out of the same factory in china.

Anyone had success mending them or is it time for a new one?

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

New one. £60 at Screwfix for a Triton:

Fitted one yesterday, nice finish on them, the only minor detail are that the two ends knobs are chromed plastic.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I wouldn't have a Triton in my house, when I was working, swopped lots of Triton electric showers for Mira, as the Triton ones were useless, still you only get what you pay for.You don't get owt for nowt. I would go for a Mira or you can get a Aqualisa for £100. I've fitted Bristan which is a cheaper shower, 7 years ago

5 people shower every day and it's still going well. It pays in the long run to use a reliable brand.
Reply to
A Plumber

Hi Bob, I have a similar shower mixer badged as "Bristan" I also have the fitting instructions which has a maintenance and fault diagnosis section. I can try and copy it for you and attach it to an email if that will help. The web site for Bristan is "

well!! according to the leaflet which is approx 6yrs old. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

BTW Mine is called an "Artisan" and I see it has the fitting & maintenance instructions on the web site as above. Good Luck Don

Reply to
Donwill

Thanks Don,

I'll check that out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

New one: as others have pointed out you can get one for £60 and they're a urine sample to fit provided the tails they fit to have been installed securely: just turn off the water, undo the two big chromed nuts, remove old valve, fit new one in reverse of above.

Reply to
YAPH

Thanks John, but in this case the body has been heavily modified for a non standard installation and I would rather not start re-machining a new one but instead fit a new thermostat to the existing body.

Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Interesting: in what way has it been modified?

I suppose there's an outside chance that the thermostatic gubbins from a new one might fit in the body of the existing one if you can't find oem spares.

Reply to
YAPH

The shower is over the back of the bath and I got fed up with getting wet arms turning on the old mixer to warm up the shower. The mixer fits in place of the bath taps and I drilled new holes for the taps. The back (now bottom) of the mixer was machined off flat and located in a custom made black plastic base. Mixer outlet has a seat machined into it for an O ring and central hole drilled and tapped to secure the purpose made stainless steel banjo fitting that takes the mixed water back under bath to the shower riser. The whole thing was designed around that bar mixer that cost me about 15 quid in a French shed about 12 years ago. So whilst it does not owe me anything, it will be a lot of effort to modify a new one especially to line up with the bath holes. If I can get a generic thermostat even if I have to adapt it to fit, it will still be easier I reckon than starting a fresh.

picture here

Bob Minchin