Triton bar mixer showers

I see that Screwfix have a Triton Luca Thermostatic Mixer Shower on offer at £60 - which doesn't sound bad if it's any good. Anyone got any experience of these?

Also - and importantly - anyone know what water connections it comes with? Do the pipes connect directly to it, or does it need some additional connections and support. On the same page on the Screwfix site there's a Triton "Bar Mixer Bracket" - which consists of a couple of chrome plated 15mm compression to 1/2" MI (I assume) elbows, joined by a fixing plate - and costing a massive £65 (more than the shower!)

If the bar shower only has 1/2" FI inputs and no means of support, then presumably I would need one of these support brackets? This would make the whole thing seem slightly less of a bargain.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I installed a triton tyne bar mixer which is more chunky and "designer", but probably is much the same. I saw those brackets. Ridiculous. Some folks just fix these mixers by attaching the pipes to the back (compression fixings onto the tails), and plastering the pipes into the wall, I anticipated the mixer being used as a handle to lean on, so obtained a piece of sheet aluminium, mounted the mixer onto this using bolts either side on the threaded tails, then fixed the metal plate securely to the wall using spacers made of pressure treated timber (I'm still not sure about that !)

In other words, either rely on the plaster on the supply pipes or make your own bracket ! Can someone please explain the pricing of these things ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

crewfix have a Triton Luca Thermostatic Mixer Shower on

Oh sorry, forgot to say what I meant by "tails". Mine came with some male to male connectors (basically like at wide threaded bar with a hole down the middle !), suiteable for compression or sealing with a washer. I used these to join the shower inlets to some elbows (can't remember which type) which joined to the supply pipes. Basically, if you remove the shower from the wall, these "tails" are left sticking out. These were 3/4" inch rather than 1/2" with my shower. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You don't *need* a custom fitting kit (I've got one but haven't used it for a job yet - I roll my own.) There are some fitting suggestions (with photos) on the DIY FAQ wiki.

Reply to
YAPH

That's great -thanks. In my case it's a stud wall which doesn't yet exist - and there will be a vertical stud mid-way between the pipes, so I should be able to fabricate some sort of supports off that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On delving a bit deeeper into the SF catalogue, I see that they do a similar bracket (51167) made by Grohe which is *only* £30 rather than £65. It may just be worth that to save frigging about with a lot of separate components - and the linking plate would provide a firm fixing if I notched out the back of a vertical stud by an appropriate amount. As far as I can see, the pipe size is the same as Triton (3/4" BSP) and the spacing is the same (150 mm). Can anyone think of any just cause or impediment why I couldn't mount a Triton bar shower on a Grohe bracket?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Nope, the beauty of these shower valves is they're all interchangeable so when the original packs up you can just replace the whol eunit if you can't repair or get spares for the original.

Reply to
YAPH