Bar mixer shower running cold only

This has been getting progressively worse. It's a bar mixer shower valve (Bristan). It used to be that shutting it off and back on got the hot flowing, but now that has ceased. The hot water is getting to the valve, no problem (from combi).

I recall from the original instructions something about replacing a cartridge, but can no longer find those.

Any other tips or things to try?

Reply to
Kal Ico

Work out how to get the cartridge out and see if its like this?

SteveW

alan_m

Good video - I've been through this with a different and larger type of Bristan shower cartridge. My observations:

- the existing cartridge can be hard to get out but it will do so with enough patience and persuasion

- you can just replace the rubber seals and not buy a new cartridge as they are expensive but make sure the rings are on the right way (and check any new cartridge does have them on the right way out of the box according to the instruction diagram)

- if buying a new cartridge shop around as the full retail price is high - I got a much cheaper replacement cartridge from Screwfix - I think it was at least £30 cheaper than the next available outlet

- apply silicone grease liberally to the seals when installing - I put on too little the first time I installed a new cartrige and it was stiff and started leaking after a while. Taking it out and applying more grease worked a treat.

Reply to
John Smith

Just my 2p worth:

Turn the water off. Unbolt the bar mixing valve. Chuck it in the bin. Fit a new one. Turn the water on.

The complete mixers are much the same price as the replacement valves, so why mess around?

Reply to
GB

Thanks for all the suggestion. I've fitted a few in the past and they seem easy enough to swap out. Usually, the old one is sufficiently dated to make it worth while to replace. I was just wondering there might be any tricks to try. For example, soaking it in some limescale remover or some similar hack.

But I think you're right that a new one is the easiest/quickest solution. Cheers.

Reply to
Kal Ico

Because they are usually sold without the cartridge unless I'm mistaken... So you'd be paying a lot more and replacing something that doesn't need replacing.

Reply to
John Smith

No, all the valves I've seen (and certainly the bar mixers) are sold with the cartridge.

Reply to
Kal Ico

Did this ever get resolved?

My Bristan Frenzy bar mixer produced a very unfriendly shower this morning. Hot water seemed ok elsewhere so I'm considering stripping out the cartridge.

For those *fiver over the counter purchasers* the TWK-25 replacement is a bit over £40 discounted!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Years ago I fixed one that ran cold only, a pin had limescale on, scrape it off & it worked fine.

Reply to
Animal

Ok. Softened water so limescale not the first suspect. 2 years one person use (STNFI) prefers a bath.

Recent install so local isolators.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Softened water corrodes. Yours is probably a different design but ya never know.

Reply to
Animal