Shopping in France

I know that there are some people on this group who live in France and I'd like some advice please. I'm working in France atm and wonder if I can do some useful DIY shopping while I'm here

Castorama is a name that springs to mind but I dont know why because I wouldnt recommend B&Q particularly. I suppose B&Q warehouses have a wide range oF stuff

Does the Euro / Pound exchange rate mean that I am better off buying in England these days?

French taps have been recommended to me in the past. Anything else?

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

French stores seem to combine the role of diy and builders merchant - the range of oak (chene) products (windows, doors, flooring and timber) was good, as was traditional heavy iron (balustrades, decorative ironwork). Oh - and Facom tools at good prices.

LaPeyre

is more windows/doors/kitchens/bathrooms but their quality was excellent IMO.

Generaly I grab all the catalogues Mr Bricolage, BricoDepot etc when I'm over there.

Reply to
dom

Anna Kettle International!

Cool!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Make sure they fit, first. We looked at French taps a couple of years ago. Prices were good, fit wasn't.

Reply to
Graz

French taps tend to be supplied with tails ending in a 3/8" BSP female connection with a rubber washer. You can use a compression 15mm to 12mm adapter to connect to 15mm pipe. Just take off the nut and olive from the 12mm end and file the end flat if it has a sharp edge.

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

Leroy Merlin are pretty big.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bear in mind that all French taps are designed for high pressure feeds and do not suit all UK installations especially older ones.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I've seen a Bricolage shop so will dive in next time I'm passing

Not seen one of them yet but will keep my eyes peeled

not suit all UK installations especially older ones.

I have a lovely high pressure system at home :-)

I have a day off work tomorrow while the basecoat sets up so I will go browsing. It will be good if I can usefully fill up the van for the return journey.

Anna

PS 12degC, sunny, view through the hills to the Med from my bed (are you all jealous yet?!)

Reply to
Anna Kettle

They may also come with C on the hot tap and F on the cold tap, which can confuse people.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

M Bricolage is much like the UK DIY sheds. Castorama is a bit more professional, while still catering to the DIY market. Leroy Merlin are builders' merchants and tend to be on out of town industrial sites, rather than the commercial centres you will find the others on. There is also Bricomarche - part of the Intermarche (Musketeer) chain and usually near one of the supermarkets. That is also much like the UK DIY sheds.

That's not warm enough to make me jealous and that is one reason I sold my place in southern France last year.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Same as pretty well all those available in UK sheds, etc. You have to search to find ones suitable for low pressure these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just swap the taps, or the tap tops over, and you will have:

C for cold,

and

F for "F___!! That's HOT!"

Reply to
Bruce

When connected to a typical combi such marking is perfectly logical and is nothing to do with the French language.

C = cold

F= f*cking cold

:)

Reply to