Shoe repair glue advice please.

Hi,

I have a pair of shoes, one of which has the upper coming detached from the sole unit. They are quite serviceable and also comfortable so I'd like to save them if possible. I've tried various glues (EvoStik, No More Nails, Hot glue, Some other HD glue from a DIY superstore, etc....) but nothing seems to last.

The thing is, if they can't be glued, well fair enough I'll chuck them. It seems to me, though, that the were glued together when they were made, so why can't they be re-glued? Any thoughts? Have I just not tried the right glue yet, or is there more to it than that?

An American site recommends a glue called 'Barges' for shoes, but I don't know if it's available in the UK. I've not seen it anyway.

These shoes are a leather upper glued to a rubber compound sole unit. The inside of the sole unit (as seen when it's coming off) is a kind of 'egg-box' structure. No sewing appears to have been used in their construction.

Thanks in advance. John

Reply to
John Fryatt

================== Black Bostik should do it but you could also look for 'Shoe goo' in a sports shop. Clean and abrade both surfaces before gluing.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It depends what they're made of. If leather, Evo-stik 528 is best (green and white tins). If they're synthetic (even just one part), then a soft polyurethane like "Barge Cement" is the stuff. You may also see this as "Shoe Goo". Usually the easiest way to find it is either sold alongside replacement soles, or as a kit with some soles which you then ignore (or use). When they used to be useful I'd have suggested Woolies, but these days try Wilkos, or even a cobbler.

It's very hard to get a reliable repair though. Good cleaning is important, plus proper "contact cement" pre-drying and then a damn good hammering over the welt with either a cobbler's hammer or a wide cross-pein hammer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My dad was a traditional cobbler - you describe the method correctly.

pk

Reply to
p.k.

unit.

Ah BUT !!!! Although they were originally glued that glue has failed so just maybe the traditional stiching is a more reliable method?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ok, thanks to everyone. Something for me to try there.

Balck Bostik Shoe Goo Evostik 528 Barge cement

Now I have to find 'em, and NOT in gallon buckets!

Thanks all.

Reply to
John Fryatt

This is true. I am more conscious of this issue now, and try to get better shoes which are stitched. I expect gluing is favoured by makers because a) it is cheaper for them, and b) the shoes come apart and you buy more shoes!

c.f. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and the 'Shoe Event Horizon'. ;-)

It would still be useful to know about gluing though, so I can get a bit more use out of said shoes and for various future uses.

John

Reply to
John Fryatt

I've had quite a bit of success with ordinary super glue in the past (which you can pick up for

Reply to
doozer