securing a tap to the sink

Hello. I have a hot tap in my kitchen. it has a flexible connector from the tap to the hot pipe.

The tap is loose on the sink, it swivels when we turn the tap and also it lets water pass it to drip under the sink.

however hard I tighten it, it comes loose straight away. how can I secure it ?

The cold tap is connected directly to the cold pipe and therefore doesnt come loose.

Ta !

fray

Reply to
Fray McBentos

There will be a nut under the tap - it sandwiches the sink between the nut and the tap. Are you just tightening the nut on the flexible hose?

Reply to
slider

you will probably need to replace the top hat washer,they often break and are the major cause of loose taps

Reply to
ALex

Look under "backnuts" on

Many sinks come with plastic backnuts that are crap. Change to a brass one and you will be fine.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Rarely ever see them fitted myself. Flexibles are a major cause of loose taps.

OP - look here

The Medway Handyman

Might be missing a rubber washer, bit of cycle inner tube might do.

Also an extra nut on top of the existing one will help to lock it if the tap does get twisted.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Might be missing a rubber washer, bit of cycle inner tube might do.

Also an extra nut on top of the existing one will help to lock it if the tap does get twisted.

cheers, Pete.

Is the tap knackered and you have to be a bit heavy handed with it? Have yo replaced the wansher and greased the mechanisme - as wll as tighteneing everything underneath as already suggested. Some people are increadibly heavy handed with taps and don't fix the original problem.

Reply to
John

Except that often the threads on a brass backnut go right up the the faces of the nut whereas the threads on the tap tail don't, so the brass nut will bind tight while the tap is still loose, unless you have some sort of washer.

Reply to
John Stumbles

thankyou everyone. It has a washer between the tap and the sink. under the sink is a black plastic nut. I can tighten it, but it doesnt stay tightened ! I might add something between the black nut and the sink.

many thanks

Reply to
Fray McBentos

Just add a rubber washer between nut and sink, for extra security put another nut on behind the existing one.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C