Flexible Tap Tails

I am refitting a washhand basin and pedestal and have a couple of flexible tap tails to fit to the monobloc tap..... ...I'm undecided whether to bring the feeds up through the floor or through the wall the basin is secured to .I'm trying to either hide the feeds as much as possible ( using plastic ) or I'll use chrome pipe,in which case it doesnt matter so much . Are there "rules " about using flexible tails as keeping them straight as much as possible or is it OK to "bend" them ?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

i`m not a plumber etc :-}

IIRC the monobloc tap on my kitchen sink has two small copper tails that we had to use - there was no way a flexi would attach due to the connections on the underside of the monobloc.

You may need to check on the connection arrangement to see if its actually possible to get the flexis onto the monobloc direct :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yeah.It is possible although it 's tight .I used them on my kitchen sink as well....One tail has the nut to tighten it at a different position from the other ...if it wasnt that way the two nuts would be in each others way when you tried to get a spanner on .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Bring the pipework up inside the pedestal, that's what it's for. This is one job where a bending spring can be handy to get nice graceful curves. "Flexible tails" look horrible.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

OK to bend them but do ensure they don't 'kink'. Also make sure they have a bit of slack.i.e. not tight between two points.

Reply to
Bookworm

Um. Does he mean tails, or connectors?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Well I'm not sure what YOU mean by tails and connectors but

call the ones for monobloc taps "flexible tails" and the ones for ordinary taps "flexible connectors" ...The only difference appears to be the means of connecting them to the taps ,the monobloc ones having a male fitting with a rubber o ring and the others having the usual tap connection .

The ones I have are the ones for a monobloc tap. As for bringing the feed up behind the pedestal there was precious little room in the one that I succeeeded in smashing so I'll se what the replacement one is like but I also have the option of using the copper tails that I had lying around but they don't give much room either once they are fitted to the tap ...why didn't I get a two tap basin .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I wondered whether they were "bendy copper tube attached to the tap suitable for solder or compression joints" or the braided things in your links.

You could make up the pipework with the basin in position and supported, without the pedestal (mark out where it goes, though). Then bend the tube appropriately, finish off with one elbow before the tap connector. Offer everything up to check it fits before soldering the lot up.

You've got more room to keep the soap, etc.?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ah..those copper bendy things .I'd forgotten about them ..I remember having them in my kitchen .Didn't like them then and can't imagine I'd like them now if they still make them.. iirc there was a limit to how often you could bend them before they hardened up..

Is it safe to screw the basin to the wall (using the Fischer plastic inserts in the basin holes) and let it sit there for a wee while ......I see some basins that are sold to fit just like that ...

I was also thinking of bringing chrome pipe out of the wall (false) behind the basin to avoid hiding the pipework behind the pedestal .....I'll have a think about it all

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

No, I was just going to post to say "not them" - they're ugly, and hold even more dust and restrict flow (assuming you mean the corrugated things) . I just mean the soft copper flexible (somewhat) tails. These look like a 15mm tube coming out of the bottom of the taps which you can bent (carefully) to line up with your pipework.

I dunno, I'd prop it IIWY.

Sounds OK - you might be able to just use a couple of bent tap connectors.

Reply to
Chris Bacon