Screwfix about to go belly up?

Ah, but did the toffee factory cease production while you were doing this? Or was their changoever managed in such a way that productivity would not be affected?

Reply to
Ric

Agreed

Exactly, and they are hardly a long-in-the-tooth company and as they are an an online company they must have fairly up to date database technology.

Reply to
Ric

Don't be too sure about that ! If goods have been delivered and signed for (superficially accepted) whether faulty or not, CC companys don't really give a stuff.

They are more worried about stolen cards and fraudulent purchases, even then, they don't even give a toss about attempting to catch anyone blatantly using someone else's CC because they know full well they can just take the money straight back of the vendor with no financial loss to themselves !

People put far more trust in C.C. companies with regards to purchases than they should!

Reply to
Pet

Or 'Home Despot'.

I'm not a big fan of DIY superstores to say the least.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I agree, The amount of business that one puts with them does have some influence, IME.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably cancelled out by all the returns.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well...... you don't see Spanish on the signs in B&Q in Farnborough.....

In California, it's entirely reasonable

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The co-op refused to pay up on a claim I made on my VISA card, and it took a load of persuading to get them to do so, although I did not have to go as far as the Ombudsman. In the Co-op's case, they invented rules. For example, they said that there was too long a delay between the goods being ordered and my making a claim. When it came to it, they were totally unable to find anything in the legislation to back this up, and their legal department supported me. IMHO you just have to be very insistent. I suspect that all credit card companies resent paying out on these claims.

Reply to
GB

It does seem unlikely that they are going down the pan, then.

Reply to
GB

Probably the first problem here is having any dealings whatsoever with the Co-op........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I notice that they have now changed their home page message:

" Since we distributed our latest catalogue we have taken a huge number of orders from our customers. That combined with the transfer of our fulfilment operation to our new centre in Stoke-on-Trent, has led to us being unable to maintain our next day delivery promise. Because we are passionate about the service we give you, we have decided to accept no new orders for the moment either on Screwfix.com or by telephone.

Our telephone agents are available to deal with any queries you may have on orders you have already placed ? or you can e-mail us at snipped-for-privacy@screwfix.com As soon as we have despatched the current backlog of orders, we will resume our usual next day delivery service. The position is being reviewed constantly and this web page will carry the latest information.

At present, we expect to begin accepting orders again by Sunday evening for delivery on Tuesday."

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well.....

I'm the last person to tolerate poor service, and had I had orders in the system with SF, I would be pretty pissed off with them at this point.

However, the worsening deliveries, customer service and so on in recent months can be explained by a demotivated workforce and run-down in Yeovil, AFAICS.

Equally we should remember, that some people don't read the small print regarding free delivery. They have always said typically next day and for a large proportion of customers this probably has happened. However, if one really does want a before 10 or 12 or guaranteed next day delivery, then there is a charge. It's no good moaning if you usually get next day on free delivery and then it doesn't happen for a few - luck of the draw.

It's inevitable that there is some disruption with a move of logistics, but it's pretty clear that they have had some problems with that.

Until this point they appear to have tried to soldier on with ever worsening deliveries. It's pretty brave, and I think responsible for them to stop taking orders, fix the problems and then open up again. They'll lose some business this way, but I'm willing to bet not for long when all is fixed.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Ric" wrote | > I once worked in a toffee factory for three weeks retyping last | > year's copy invoices into next year's accounts system. | Ah, but did the toffee factory cease production while you were | doing this?

No; there would have been riots if the weans of Scotland had been deprived of their Irn Bru bars, Vimto bars, Lanky Larrys, Wizard Wandz[1], Whams and Lippy Chicks.

Owain

[1] Mystical chew bar wand. Seven flavours but no-one knows which flavour they will get until they start to chew. The flavours are Blueberry, cherry, rhubarb and custard, grapefruit, chocolate, apple, and chilli.
Reply to
Owain

I've only had to claim once, from Barclaycard, and they were extremely helpful. I had already had several goes at trying to deal with the supplier before I went to Barclaycard. Barclaycard said I should have saved myself the trouble and contacted them earlier. They give the supplier 60 days to respond to the claim (most respond much faster than that). In my case, the supplier didn't respond at all. I was only complaining about something like £200 of non-supplied goods on a £400 order, the rest having been correctly supplied. However, Barclaycard refunded the whole transaction and said the supplier would have to bill me again if they wanted the £200 balance. I never heard from the supplier after that though. This was all about 10 years ago -- don't know if it would be the same today.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Perhaps not supprisingly, I found that screws are of a better quality from screwfix than from toolstation! As you say they are goof for sealants etc. A

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, it's the way you read it. I assumed you meant "odd in context" not "different to my normal experience".

My mistake

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Sorry not to be clear.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Screwfix got me hooked on SpaX screws a couple of years ago, then stopped selling them! So all my scews come from Axminster.

Reply to
Grunff

I ordered from Screwfix on Wednesday (21st) about 5.30pm. Their website said that the order would be delivered on Monday, and that the site would close at 6.00 that evening, I was pleasantly surprised when the order was delivered first thing this morning (Fri).

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I ordered from them on Wednesday too. Nothing so far. :o(

Reply to
Bob Mannix