Screwfix Website

Looking for some odd size woodscrews - pozis with the thread running all the way down - 2 1/4 x 12 in old money or 60 x 6 ; near enough anyway. Checked on my first port of call Toolstation. Their ranges are all listed is size order and as expected from memory anyway - 2 1/4 only go up to x 10 or 60 up to 5. Tried the Screwfix site.

Unless I'm doing something very, very, wrong -

It seems the numpties who designed the Screwfix site and the morons who signed it off decided it would be a good idea to list screws - not in size order - but instead give the customer the choice of sorting by

Top Sellers, Price High to Low, Price Low to High" Product Brand A-toZ, product Brand Z to A, Average Star Rating. None of which bring up a size sorted list but a mixture of individual sizes.

Which is total bollocks. You chose your sort categories according to the characteristics of what you're selling. Without checking maybe this is a straight port of the B&Q abortion. The only surprise is that they didn't include "sort by colour" as well.

michael adams

Turnip Watch

You can set Brand, size, head type, diameter and pack size? For an example where I have chosen Quicksilver:

I might agree about their search engine, it is poor.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Maybe it was an old design for selling something totally different altogether! I find this sort of annoyance on Amazon. You would put in, say cassette recorders and also find listed mp3 recorders, MP3 storage devices and indeed almost anything at all in any department at all but might have cassette in it even if you prevfix it with the word audio. I just think that those who put items on to web sites do not really get it. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Looking at that I'm getting a page with mixed heads including slotted heads on the first and second row, or in list view

3rd and 5th down. Again pack size and price come second to size. If somebody is looking for a particular size of screw, pack size and price come second and third on their list of priorities.

And clicking on any particular size doedn't bring up any more informatuon unless you count reviews.

Here's an equivalent page from Toolstation resulting from entering "twin thread pozi" in the search box and clicking on one particular size with search set to relevance

With a full list in size order given below.

michael adams

Turnip Watch

Maybe with Amazon, as with supermarkets spacing out all the essentials in the far corners of the store so as to expose you to more goods, the idea is to try to get you to buy things you never had any intention of buying.

Another site which is notorious for that is Homebase. As whatever search term you put in, its almost certain that among the first five hits will be something to do with bathroom fittings or curtains

michael adams

Turnip Watch

The Screwfix website hasn't enabled me to place an order the last couple of times I tried. When I phoned they said they knew there was a problem ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Truly awful. Recently (at least months) I have been finding it is entirely unusable unless I regularly force a page refresh. For example, put "skyhook" in search box, hit the go and look for it button. Nothing happens. Refresh, try again, it might work. Similarly with the filter options. Might be due to using ad blocker - but it is a foolish thing to make a website so bad that customers go elsewhere.

Reply to
polygonum

I'm simply amazed. Apart from the search engine issues with limited key words, I currently don't have any problems with the site, and I generally use Firefox with uBlock to block adverts.

Some time ago I used some alternative adblock plugin which was quite aggressive, that rendered the website virtually useless. Screwfix seem to have numerous photos and scripts from a wide number of different but related domains.

Reply to
Fredxxx

And I use Firefox (up to date) with uBlock! (Don't imagine OS matters - but W10, in case it does.)

Reply to
polygonum

That happened to me a few times this past summer - I had assumed it would be repaired by now.

Reply to
S Viemeister

And for a completely unconnected reason, I needed to use the site again a few minutes ago. Seems to be its usual crap instead of cussedly worse than usual. Maybe they have fixed something? Probably by accident.

Reply to
polygonum

polygonum scribbled

WTF would Screwfix have adverts on their site?

They are running Coremetrics - "... a leading provider of web analytics and marketing optimization solutions helps businesses relentlessly optimize their marketing..."

Which probably what causes most of the problems.

Reply to
Jonno

I didn't say that they have ads on their site. (Though plenty of commercial sites do actually have adverts for all sorts of things on them.) But the blocking techniques used by an adblocker can sometimes affect whether a site works or not. Reasonably frequently I find I have to switch the ad blocker off on a site to enable it to work.

Reply to
polygonum

I find the search facility on the SF site pretty useless - it invariably comes up with things which are totally unrelated to what I'm trying to find!

It's far easier to find things in the printed catalogue and then enter the item number to locate them on the site.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I find the site easier to navigate.

As you say the search is crap. I have resorted to putting the site in Google and searching for parts there!

"site:screwfix.co.uk dpm"

gets me just 6 hits.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Indeed. If you don't know the "correct" Screwfix, or Toolstation name for whetever you're looking for - with often different names for exactly the same item on either site, then basically you're screwed when using the search [mal]function. It seems there's no such thing as a "near miss"; if you don't hit the mark, then you could end up almost anywhere.

In theory at least, rather then the search box there's always the menu bar and the drop down menus, which are a straight port from the B&Q site. Although I haven't used them much myself as I mainly use Toolstation. The B&Q menus did seem a bit hover/click happy however, maybe optimised for mobiles/tablets dunno. I stopped the catalogues as with theirs and Toolstation every couple of months it was becoming a bit of a chore to dispose of them all.

michael adams

Turnip Watch

polygonum scribbled

Some sites are so shit I have to use IE to access them. Followed by a quick scan to remove all the malware they've been nice enough to pass on.

Reply to
Jonno

Oh dear! Things going backwards

Reply to