Screwfix Website

Looking for some odd size woodscrews - pozis with the thread running all the way down - 2 1/4 x 12 in old money or 60 x 6 ; near enough anyway. Checked on my first port of call Toolstation. Their ranges are all listed is size order and as expected from memory anyway - 2 1/4 only go up to x 10 or 60 up to 5. Tried the Screwfix site.
Unless I'm doing something very, very, wrong -
It seems the numpties who designed the Screwfix site and the morons who signed it off decided it would be a good idea to list screws - not in size order - but instead give the customer the choice of sorting by
Top Sellers, Price High to Low, Price Low to High" Product Brand A-toZ, product Brand Z to A, Average Star Rating. None of which bring up a size sorted list but a mixture of individual sizes.
Which is total bollocks. You chose your sort categories according to the characteristics of what you're selling. Without checking maybe this is a straight port of the B&Q abortion. The only surprise is that they didn't include "sort by colour" as well.
michael adams
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 15:19, Turnip Watch wrote:

You can set Brand, size, head type, diameter and pack size? For an example where I have chosen Quicksilver: http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/woodscrews/cat840066#category Κt840066&brand=quicksilver&sort_by=price
I might agree about their search engine, it is poor.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Looking at that I'm getting a page with mixed heads including slotted heads on the first and second row, or in list view 3rd and 5th down. Again pack size and price come second to size. If somebody is looking for a particular size of screw, pack size and price come second and third on their list of priorities.
And clicking on any particular size doedn't bring up any more informatuon unless you count reviews.
Here's an equivalent page from Toolstation resulting from entering "twin thread pozi" in the search box and clicking on one particular size with search set to relevance
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63496
With a full list in size order given below.
michael adams
βœ–
Maybe it was an old design for selling something totally different altogether! I find this sort of annoyance on Amazon. You would put in, say cassette recorders and also find listed mp3 recorders, MP3 storage devices and indeed almost anything at all in any department at all but might have cassette in it even if you prevfix it with the word audio. I just think that those who put items on to web sites do not really get it. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
βœ–

Maybe with Amazon, as with supermarkets spacing out all the essentials in the far corners of the store so as to expose you to more goods, the idea is to try to get you to buy things you never had any intention of buying.
Another site which is notorious for that is Homebase. As whatever search term you put in, its almost certain that among the first five hits will be something to do with bathroom fittings or curtains
michael adams
βœ–

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason for that. Pain in the arse IMO.

Add pictures here
βœ–

More likely that no one actually considered what many would want to sort on.

Yeah, it has one of the worst searches around of the majors.
It has recently improved significantly tho, you can now filter by items that can be shipped to your location and they do show the shipping cost on the main page for the item when your location is outside the main country for the amazon site.
And you don’t have to specify a category before it will sort either.

Yeah, that has always been one massive downside with amazon, they throw in stuff that doesn’t include the search terms at all.
I've decided that is deliberate, so you see stuff you haven't asked to see, so you may find that worth buying too. And that is still there are the recent major rewrite too, so I bet its deliberate.
Aliexpress is much worse the other way, you can get fuck all hits with the most basic search terms like Seagate for example.
Refining the search is quite good with some sites that allow you to select subsets of the category that are specific to the category with say external hard drives as a subset of hard drives and then by brand within that.

That is certainly true of the sort of search that mike is talking about.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wednesday, 30 December 2015 15:19:54 UTC, Turnip Watch wrote:

The Screwfix website hasn't enabled me to place an order the last couple of times I tried. When I phoned they said they knew there was a problem ...
Owain
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/30/2015 2:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

That happened to me a few times this past summer - I had assumed it would be repaired by now.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 15:19, Turnip Watch wrote:

Truly awful. Recently (at least months) I have been finding it is entirely unusable unless I regularly force a page refresh. For example, put "skyhook" in search box, hit the go and look for it button. Nothing happens. Refresh, try again, it might work. Similarly with the filter options. Might be due to using ad blocker - but it is a foolish thing to make a website so bad that customers go elsewhere.
--
Rod

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 19:21, polygonum wrote:

I'm simply amazed. Apart from the search engine issues with limited key words, I currently don't have any problems with the site, and I generally use Firefox with uBlock to block adverts.
Some time ago I used some alternative adblock plugin which was quite aggressive, that rendered the website virtually useless. Screwfix seem to have numerous photos and scripts from a wide number of different but related domains.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 19:31, Fredxxx wrote:

And I use Firefox (up to date) with uBlock! (Don't imagine OS matters - but W10, in case it does.)
--
Rod

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 20:25, polygonum wrote:

And for a completely unconnected reason, I needed to use the site again a few minutes ago. Seems to be its usual crap instead of cussedly worse than usual. Maybe they have fixed something? Probably by accident.
--
Rod

Add pictures here
βœ–
polygonum scribbled

WTF would Screwfix have adverts on their site?
They are running Coremetrics - "... a leading provider of web analytics and marketing optimization solutions helps businesses relentlessly optimize their marketing..."
Which probably what causes most of the problems.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 22:17, Jonno wrote:

I didn't say that they have ads on their site. (Though plenty of commercial sites do actually have adverts for all sorts of things on them.) But the blocking techniques used by an adblocker can sometimes affect whether a site works or not. Reasonably frequently I find I have to switch the ad blocker off on a site to enable it to work.
--
Rod

Add pictures here
βœ–
polygonum scribbled

Some sites are so shit I have to use IE to access them. Followed by a quick scan to remove all the malware they've been nice enough to pass on.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 15:19, Turnip Watch wrote:

I find the search facility on the SF site pretty useless - it invariably comes up with things which are totally unrelated to what I'm trying to find!
It's far easier to find things in the printed catalogue and then enter the item number to locate them on the site.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 30/12/2015 23:25, Roger Mills wrote:

I find the site easier to navigate.
As you say the search is crap. I have resorted to putting the site in Google and searching for parts there!
"site:screwfix.co.uk dpm"
gets me just 6 hits.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Indeed. If you don't know the "correct" Screwfix, or Toolstation name for whetever you're looking for - with often different names for exactly the same item on either site, then basically you're screwed when using the search [mal]function. It seems there's no such thing as a "near miss"; if you don't hit the mark, then you could end up almost anywhere.

In theory at least, rather then the search box there's always the menu bar and the drop down menus, which are a straight port from the B&Q site. Although I haven't used them much myself as I mainly use Toolstation. The B&Q menus did seem a bit hover/click happy however, maybe optimised for mobiles/tablets dunno. I stopped the catalogues as with theirs and Toolstation every couple of months it was becoming a bit of a chore to dispose of them all.
michael adams
βœ–
On 30/12/2015 23:25, Roger Mills wrote:

Oh dear! Things going backwards