Gaah! Can't they make anything that lasts...

Once again, the "temporary" 9kW instant water has blown up.

This time it was a ZIP (Made in Germany). Control board failure - not obvious fuses or cutouts. 1 year warranty, 18 months old. Last time it was a Hyco.

So 2 brands lot to touch...

This time I will try a Stiebel-Eltron.

One day I will have CH and this will all be a bad memory...

No, I cannot do the CH now - I have 20 jobs before that one... Just came on to moan... Bah. There...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Eek - I've got a BNIB Zip ready to install!

Reply to
Piers

Eek - I've got a BNIB Zip ready to install!

Reply to
Piers

On Thursday 18 July 2013 13:26 Piers wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Keep the reciept :-o

Mine was an ILX009.

It looked very well built, so it might be one off.

It does do the bath too - thought they don't say it shouldn't...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Interesting. I tried to get the ILX009, but was told (this was in April) that it had been discontinued by the manufacturer. (It seemed like wherever I bought it from it would be drop-shipped by the manufacturer. I see lots of placed still advertising it though.)

I ended up buying the Zip CEX-U which must be better, cos you can get a remote control for it ;-).

I only bought for it for "temporary use" too - as I don't have any hot water source near where I need it for kitchen sink and toilet basin use. But in my world, temporary can be 5+ years!

Agree with you on build quality - it does appear to be a decent bit of kit, and Zip seemed to have a decent reputation when I was looking.

Reply to
Piers

On Thursday 18 July 2013 14:07 Piers wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Me too...

It's not for laziness either - just insanely busy all of the time..

I was impressed they were using the cold water inlet to cool the power SCR's heatsink. I was really hoping to find a fuse blown - might take it to bits and look harder. All the LEDs are out so it's clearly a control PSU or controller failure.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well Sir, you have the wrong kind of water you see... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Did the instructions say "Dass ist nicht not the correct way to fill a bath?"

Reply to
ARW

On Thursday 18 July 2013 20:03 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think they say:

You vil reroute your 10mm2 because it's a bastard, and then you vil vind out your tap konnektor not fit because ve mill the ends to a V not a step.

So you vil drive to B&Q and buy vun more flexiconnector.

Zen you will veep as it veeps, refusing to tighten up more.

Bastards.

Yes, all done. Usual plumbing related swearing.

Neon no longer works in the isolator because its weedy 0.1mm wires have finally succumbed to the might of the 10mm2[1]. But I don't care about that.

[1] I could have just about used 6mm2 but I did not have any...

And the B&Q flexconnector still has a weep rate of about 5 drops in 10 minutes. I'm hoping that will seal itself off in a day or 3. Dare not tighten that compression joint any more.

*sigh*
Reply to
Tim Watts

The advantage of living in an area like Sussex, where the hard water means it probably will seal!

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Thursday 18 July 2013 23:12 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - the other couple of weepy joints from long ago are encrusted with general greeness :)

It was a toss up bewteen the B&Q 15-1/2" flexi at £5 or the Speedfit flexi that had a rather low temperature rating and no locknut on the Speedfit end.

Normally I would buy decent flexis from Toolsatan, which I was in earlier, except I did not notice the connectors on the heater I had only just purchased from QVS had a slightly different profile.

What was funnier was that the QVS website - and the paper instructions - claimed these were 1/2" NPT (yankee style). Perhaps that is why they were not able to accept a tap connector as my old one was. 1/2" NPT has the same pitch as 1/2" BSP so who knows what it is...

Reply to
Tim Watts

JOOI, where does Sussex's water come from? Our water traditionally was very hard, mainly from deep wells in magnesian limestone, but more recently is chiefly from river abstraction and a few large impounding reservoirs.

(I'm a trustee of the above!)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Underground chalk aquifers.

It was a revelation the first time we went on holiday in a soft water area...used far too much soap!

Reply to
Bob Eager