Screwfix about to go belly up?

At least you got your money back, and I hope you are no longer with LloydsTSB. They use delay tactics, hoping you will be fobbed off. They ,must have insurance for these events, so I can't see what they are griping.

Reply to
IMM

Is now the time to mention that

seems to be much cheaper than Screwfix for most things? (And still have free delivery even for small orders for a few more days).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You just kick them while they're down!

Reply to
Ric

I switched to them as my main supplier for glues and small fittings a few weeks ago, no problems so far. The range is much smaller than SF - more like what SF were like 4 years ago.

Reply to
Grunff

Self insured I suspect, £x b/m put aside to cover themselves. And even if they are using 'commercial insurance you have to remember that insurance companies are in business *not* to pay out on claims.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Good grief.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[30 lines snipped]

I was in the Home Depot in Exton, Pennsylvania a couple of weeks ago. It was a very spooky experience; talk about "deja vu".

Reply to
Huge

The state of my local B&Q, recently refitted out as a mini warehouse, makes me wonder if there is something afoot with the Kingfisher group, shelving cleared for 'new season' stock or shelving for new range stock left empty for the last two or three weeks now (having cleared the old saleable stock !). It's making me wonder if there is a distribution problem, at far reaching finance problem or the much talked about take over by or selling off to HD is on the cards again....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

=============== I've just received a £10-00 voucher from Screwfix (Yeovil) as compensation for poor delivery. It's redeemable until September 2005 which suggests that they expect to be still trading for at least another year!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Erm... or /don't/!

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, I remember our family getting about a 100 quid's worth of redeemable vouchers from Bejam (in place of and as compensation for a freezer problem) on the morning that the food trade learnt that Iceland was taking Bejam over and that any redeemable vouchers would become worthless - mother never spent so much on frozen goods in such a few hours !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

============= Life's too short to be an eternal pessimist!

I'll wait and see - things will sort themselves out one way or another before my voucher expires.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'm far from that, I was just pointing out that vouchers that last for a year != shop will be trading in a year's time.

Reply to
Grunff

It does seem to depend on the card issuer and on the relationship you have with your bank manager.

I had an issue like this (wasn't Lloyds) and the bank manager leaned on them, pointing out that it was better to write off £200 than to lose £50k per annum of business through the card account.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you look at their interim report, you will read that they say that sales of seasonal stock has been poor at B&Q but has been compensated by improved sales in other areas.

The accounts don't suggest a far reaching financial problem.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Did you manage to operate the self service checkout?

Originally they had big problems, but last time I used one it worked really well.

The only odd thing was that the signs inside are bilingual English and Spanish in some stores.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Which bit was the odd thing?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Ric" wrote | > What may happen is that teh new systems will need to have the | > old data rolled onto them. Its quite a job really. Especially | > if its a new software system they are using. | Yes, but as part of the development of the new system, processes | to amalgamate the old data will be incorporated. It wouldn't be | a case of a thousand monkeys copying all the data from one screen | to another - it would programmatically be transferred from the | old database and really shoudn't take very long.

It depends on how old their existing computer system is and how easy it is to get the data off it in a form intelligible by the new system. Sometimes it is cheaper and quicker to use skilled data preparation personnel. I once worked in a toffee factory for three weeks retyping last year's copy invoices into next year's accounts system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Must be all those PP Pro tools they are selling.

Reply to
IMM

Nah, it's *always* possible to migrate data, and with the kind of volumes that someone like Screwfix would have the only option would be to write an import/convert tool.

Reply to
Grunff