Sash Windows... further to an earlier thread!

I've finally got round to looking at one of my broken sash windows.
Basically I've had to spend a good 2hrs chipping the ancient gloss paint off all the working parts, just so I can see which bits do what. Anyway, following that I've managed to remove the beading from one side of the window, unfortunately in three pieces. I've also got half of the central (?) bead off, also broken. This allowed me to open the hatch and extract the two sash weights, both with broken cords. Now just popping out to get some sash cord and some other bits 'n' pieces.
Hopefully SWMBO won't mind the mountain of gloss paint chippings all over the place ;-))
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Fishter wrote:

It may have been mentioned before, but just in case it wasn't, it's much easier to fix the weights to the cords, pull them up into the box and then tack the cords to the window frames, than to try and do this in the opposite order.

Hopefully, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Nick
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

I did this a couple of years ago while the CDO was away. I was bored and wanted to see how the window worked, and whether I could tidy it up. To be fair, she was a little concerned by the fact that the bathroom window was propped shut by some 2x2 screwed to the frame, but the finished result is a whole load better.
In all, stripping right back to the wood, staining and varnishing took about 6 days in total, over a number of weeks. I've been forbidden from trying this on any other windows, so if your Swmbo is anything like mine, make the most of this experience.
--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We got some "professionals" in to sort out the sash windows at work - 95 per window apparently.
Beading was off in about 10 seconds - smashed to bits, paint chippings all over the place. They fitted new cords nailed in new beading and that was that.
Took about 15 minutes per window.
Nice little earner!

Anyway,
central
extract
get
over
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.