Replacement Double Glazing panels

Hi,

I have some elderly (at least >25 years old) Everest aluminium framed double glazing which is now showing its age. The frames are fine but one panel has now leaked to the point where it has its own internal weather. The panels are somewhat non-standard with fake Georgian window beading inside and much thicker than other makers double glazing.

I estimate the internal spacing is about 20mm without having measured it. Any suggestions where it might be possible to get a replacement double glazed unit to the right dimensions and specification, and how difficult a DIY job is it to replace double glazing in these old Everest aluminium frames - I can't immediately see how it comes apart!

It is the variant that has a plastic resin thermal barrier inside the aluminium components to isolate inside from out.

I don't really want to replace an entire window for this minor fault, but I am pretty sure that is what the pressure salesmen will recommend. Any suggestions for someone in the North Yorkshire/Teesside area to repair it or make the right sized glazing unit for me to install myself?

I have tried an online search and get mostly junk and metasites advertising other double glazing pressure selling con men.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Visit your local independent glazier. You may be pleasantly surprised...

Hi,

Are you far from Thirsk? If not try Dave Gibson, he replaced the sealed unit in one of my leaded windows quite reasonably.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I had one from the local glassworks fitted this summer. It was to replace a glass unit in a 15 year old white UPVC frame.

To come and measure, order up correct size, come back and fit it (ground fl oor, good access) toughened glass, 2296mm x 951mm, was £285 plus VAT.

Reply to
Road_Hog

a glass unit in a 15 year old white UPVC frame.

floor, good access) toughened glass, 2296mm x 951mm, was £285 plus VAT.

Was that really the cheapest you could find?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Doesn't sound that bad. Probably not the current standard thickness, so a custom made job with all the out of date seals etc

Reply to
stuart noble

I had a small opener break in cold weather. That was £80 for the local shop to come and measure, have made, and come back and fit. Not K glass, but standard thickness. (I wasn't around or I would have fitted it myself.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

ce a glass unit in a 15 year old white UPVC frame.

d floor, good access) toughened glass, 2296mm x 951mm, was £285 plus VAT.

It was on a ex-rental property that I own, which is 100 miles away in Londo n. I phoned a couple of other places, one was about the same and the other guy, more a n independent with a van, who was more.

Price had been agreed for a sale and even if that fell through, the front ( street facing) lounge window with a hole in the outside pain the size of a cricket ball, didn't look very attractive. These people sounded efficient a nd gave me a quote then and there.

As to the other comment, yes, I suspect that they are different to today's spec, I'm pretty sure that gap is bigger these days, something in the back of my mind says that it is a 20mm gap and the glass thickness on invoice sa ys 4mm.

Reply to
Road_Hog

That's standard today. Any bigger gap is counter-productive as it allows convection inside the unit to transfer more heat across.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel