Repairing a light fitting

A plastic 12v light fitting has cracked. I can repair it with a suitable adhesive, but it needs to be something that won't mind getting quite hot.

How will epoxy resin fare?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I have used epoxy for various things - perhaps not quite as demanding as a light fitting - e.g. washing machine control knob and various switches.

Critical aspects seem to be:

Mix extremely carefully - precise measurement and thorough mixing.

"Bake" at an appropriate temperature and for a long time.

Try it outdoors as the stink of curing/failing epoxy is horrible and hangs around forever.

Reply to
polygonum

Well we used to put Araldite in an over to dry faster, but of course it might compromise the strength a bit. Cannot be that hot if the plastic does not melt. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Light fittings would be a thermosetting rather than a thermoplastic material.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Poorly.

Reply to
Tim Watts

not well at all. You can get non-epoxy resins at car accessory shops that handle far higher temps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you get one designed for high temperature use, or a metal loaded one, then it will be ok.

Reply to
John Rumm