Light fitting question

Hi All,

I replaced a metal chain / glass lampshade type light fitting for my mother in law tonight and replaced it with a ceiling fan / lamp. Luckily in the lounge the light fittings were screwed into those round metal conduit boxes that had been set into the ceiling so I was able to drill the base plate of the fan with 50mm spacing and run some 5mm machine screws up into the metal boxes.

MIL wants the metal rose / chain / glass shades type fittings in the two bedrooms but the one I looked at today has a std 'loop-in' rose screwed into a couple of rawlplugs (no metal conduit box in there?).

So, is there such a thing as a loopin rose with a flat face plate and

50 mm hole centres that I could screw this brass (inverted) dome / chain thing to as there's not enough room under it to join all the cables (unless I use crimps but then I couldn't take it down for servicing).?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Er, how about a conduit box?

'd need some terminal block, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi Christian and thanks for the reply ..

I probably didn't put it across very well. I *could* use the conduit box but that would mean digging out the ceiling and around the wires to take it?

In my travels today I popped into B&Q and the very sharp electrician took me straight to the lamp rose / bayonet area. There he pointed me to a two piece brass (possibly plated) 'enclosure', where one bit fits

*under* the std loop-in rose fitting (a bracket, and shares the roses mounting screws) and then a brass 'lid / top' that carries the suspension chain and cable etc fits onto two outward facing screws in the base bracket and is secured with two dome head nuts ;-)

The cable from the pendant fitting simply connects to the std terminals in the rose ;-)

There were about 7 pounds each and came in a silver and brass finish. They did a heavier version where the light fitting slides off for cleaning servicing etc (12 pounds).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m