Rubber seal on glass light shade (2023 Update)

I removed, for the first time since it was fitted by the electrician, a glass globe light shade from a light/fan assembly in our conservatory.

The globe is secured by three screws which go through the metal frame and protrude into a lipped edge on the globe. As it came off, a rubber seal disintegrated into bits. This seal is, I imagine, intended to mitigate against the over-tightening of the retaining screws which would otherwise impact the glass directly and possibly shatter it.

I didn't know what to do, so replaced it (the seal) with a thick rubber band before refitting the globe. This worked okay in that the screws rested on the rubber, not the glass, but in operation there is a very strong rubber smell, presumably the rubber band doesn't like the heat of the 60W lightbulb! What can I use as a replacement? The only thing that came to mind was to draw a bead of silicone sealer around where the seal goes, but I'm not sure how that would stand up to heat either.

Thanks!

Reply to
Colin Harper

Don't do the screws up tight, ensure the globe is free to move. Being a fan as well it might then rattle or the screws work loose. Fairly low possibilty of either provided the fan is properly balanced. There is probably enough thread on the outside to fit a locking nut.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I confess that I've not seen a globe with a band as you describe - all the globes I've come across didn't have any protection and I've not broken one yet. Just be careful when tightening the screws, they don't need to be tight on the glass simply supporting under the lip. Remove your band and try it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I would try a silicone rubber O ring or gasket. Alternatively contact the distributor. Don

Reply to
Donwill

A little bit of glass fibre stove rope would provide some padding, if you know where you can scrounge an inch or two?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Would tap washer do it?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've done exactly the same thing, but without the rubber smell. I wonder if rubber bands vary somehow?

I think silicone is pretty heat resistant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What about an O Ring under each screw head? This would allow the glass to expand.

Reply to
John

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:54:46 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote (in article ):

They might vary, or you may have had less than 60W in there?

Anyway, I'll try with silicone sealer. I think I need a cushion for the screws to rest on because of the vibration of the fan. Otherwise I'd be worried they'd shake out. The fan's been out of use all winter so it's not been a problem but it will be soon!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Reply to
Colin Harper

20W CFLs wouldn't get so hot.
Reply to
OG

lightbulb!

But don't like being in an effectively sealed space, they might not run as hot as a 60W incandescant but the heat they do produce does need to get away. The only CFL that we have fail regulary(*) is the one in the bathroom globe light fitting...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:53:04 +0100, OG wrote (in article ):

The lighbulb is a little 60W SBC globe thing. I don't know if you can get CFLs that small, but I've not found one. BC variants which claim to be that small wouldn't fit, and I've not found one in SBC anyway. Plus, I like to be able to see when I turn on a light. Not have to pre-turn it on 20 minutes before I actually need to be able to see :-)

Reply to
Colin Harper

Silicone sealant is often used when refitting an exhaust to a motorbike so wouldnt worry about it being heat resistant, another matter if you want to use it in preference to the other ideas posted.

Reply to
SS

Hi, One tip you may do well to avoid the acetic acid based silicone sealants as these may eat the copper.. try

James Salisbury

That will be an entirely different silicone. Most can only survive up to about 220 %C

Dave

Reply to
Dave

We had one like it - I think the rubber band was to try to mitigate the rattling when the fan was in use

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I just took my globes off of my ceiling fan and have the same problem. A small gasket on each that has crumbled.

Reply to
Bz

Almost any large enough rubber band will do. Without one they rattle - don't tighten the screws!

Reply to
Animal

I wonder how old the original post was? Anyway, I think before you use elastic bands, make sure they are in good condition, and if you can put a layer or f something like castor oil on them, as they will perish faster without it in my experience. Some of these lamps have a little trough for an O ring to be used, so you may be able to obtain those if they are a standard size. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The post was made 11 April 2010

Reply to