water heater won't light after flood

We got a foot of water in our basement yesterday (central PA) because the hose to the sump pump had slipped off. Furnace is fine, but water heater won't light. An HVAC-trained friend said "it" might just need to dry out (I got this information secondhand). He can come over later on today to look at it; in the meantime I called the gas company, who put us on the list (they're swamped today). They said they can even fix it and bill us. Question: how long does it take for "it" (whatever that is) to dry?

Reply to
nosredna

The main control is most likely full of water ( duh ) I know, but if its an old heater 6 yrs I'de replace it.

Is the gas company going to replace the control or disassemble it blow it out and will it cause future problems.

I would install a new thermocoupler myself, and see if it will light if not a new heater.There easy to replace.Your only out a few bucks.

The gas company will probably fix it but at what cost?

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Reply to
nosredna

You might want to consider putting it on a stool made for the purpose. Gas water heaters are safer when off the ground in the event of a spill of flammable liquid.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Bennett Price

In the event that gas lines were opened, the air in the line needs to be cleared. Or possibly nitrogen used to purge.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Reply to
nosredna

Since furnace is fione, I assume you already had it cycle for heat. So I guess air in line isn't a concern. Ignore the interruption.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Can't see yours from here but when I had a similar flood the problem was that water got into the tubing that supplies the pilot which does not have enough pressure to blow it out. Remove pilot assembly and blow out the tube with mouth or compressed air. You can test the pilot function of the main valve by holding down the red button AFTER you disconnect the tubing from the gas valve. If gas comes out when it is depressed and stops when you let go of the button cleaning and trying the tubing and pilot may solve your problem.

Warning if the main control valve was under the water it may have to be replaced.

Reply to
Colbyt

Reply to
nosredna