Re: roller blind help

The friction (on ours) is done by two little ears pressing against the inside of the plastic that rolls with the blinds. It is possible to make those ears push harder by winding a stubby woodscrew into the hole between them (been there, done that, etc).
If you feel brave enough, take the blind down and pull the winding mechanism out of the cardboard tube. Then have a look at it, see if the woodscrew bodge will work on yours.
There may be a plastic collar left inside the cardboard tube, very difficult to shift, and I left it well alone.
Getting the winding mechanism to re-enter that plastic collar is helped by filing a chamfer on the front edge of the mechanism.
--
Tony Williams.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:51:57 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Griffiths"

I've not had the time or the courage to take the blind down yet so I dont know if it's cardboard or ally, but just looking at the size of the blind (its on the side of the conservatory) and the weight of the material I wouldn't be suprised if the blind is to heavy for the mechanism
Maybe I misunderstood - is this inside or out? The weight could well be the problem.
Peter

That's OK - I suddenly thought we might be talking at cross purposes!
If this is a big blind - say greater than 72" width (old money) then it's probably not a cardboard tube, which are used for mass produced, cheap DIY blinds. Just a couple more thoughts: does the blind come down and turn the sidewinder and bead chain as well? If so then it's certainly the weight of the fabric and the sidecontrol is either not man enough for the job or it's defective. How about fitting a cleat to hold the beadchain?
Or is the roller turning and the sidewinder stays put? Still could be a defective sidewinder but it could also be that the roller is slipping on the sidewinder. Difficult to tell without taking the blind down and trying the fit. If it is too loose then a pin punch could be used to make a dent in the roller where the sidewinder is fitted and increase the grip.
not sure if that helps!
Peter