Roller Blind Material

I got some samples from a blind making company . They are made of what I think is a polyester material,quite stiff . Anyone know where I am likely to get this to buy ?? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

No, but when we made a roller blind - about twenty yers ago - we used a broderie anglaise decorated cotton poplin, it was quite thin and we didn't stiffen it. It's still in use and we've had no problems with it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Years ago I bought a roller blind kit which came with a liquid you wiped onto the materiail you wanted to use to stiffen it up and make it useable with the roller.

Julian Ashcroft

Reply to
Julian Ashcroft

I have tried that with a PVA mix which works as well but I was trying to get the actual material that the blind manfrs use . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Oh my God! Soo many words I don't know all in one sentence!!

Reply to
Grunff

Sorry - it should have been years of course.

Does that help?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Who was the roller and what had he done to you?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Brooks

:-)

I can just about guess anglaise, but broderie? Poplin??

Reply to
Grunff

Broderie anglaise for a reason unknown to me is a form of machine embroidery using (usually) the same colour thread as the ground fabric. It's characterised also by having (deliberate) holes as part of the design, which is usually repeated, sometimes all over the fabric.. You'll have seen it a lot, I don't know of any other names for it.

Poplin is a fine weave of cotton, you'll probably have worn shirts made from it.

Feel better now?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nothing, he was the sort of chap who asked silly questions. You know it makes you blind ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Was he one of the Bay City variety :-) ? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Much better, thank you.

Reply to
Grunff

Hang on - I'll check ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

John Lewis sell airosol cans of fabric stiffner for making blinds. I've used it a couple of times.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

they use cloth and glue.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

snipped

Could you explain a bit more please. ? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

they take cloth, dunk it in diluted glue, and dry it. Voila. The glue stiffens the cloth up, like starch only better.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

But why does it need to be stiff?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For appearance,

ISTR because they were originally made from Holland cloth, hence the original name of Holland Blinds.

Holland cloth is very stiff and I think it is unbleached linen

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

No. Normally they will buy pre-treated cloth which as another poster has said is stiff. Alban Blinds (Herts) are a source of blind fabric and have been been in the business for >30yrs, so know what they are doing. The alternative is to buy the blind spray liquid and DIY, but to be honest, it's not nearly as successful as the real thing.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol