Re: [OT] Car insurance craziness

Page 4 of 7
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:22:49 +0100, geoff

I don't think it is a hanging crime to let down a town in Berkshire, and just because someone in London gets lost from time to time it doesn't necessarily mean that they are a complete idiot. However, I fail to see what this has to do with DIY. Perhaps a bit of thinking before posting before thinking would be a Good Thing. It all started with the political arguments and look how downhill things have gone since then. Usenet political arguments seem to invariably generate more heat than light and can even destroy newsgroups. Why is it when people have nothing of value to say, they say it? Dignified silence, that's the way I do it. Makes you look far more intelligent and learned.
John Schmitt
--
My other .sig is also a .sig

I expect you'd fail an exam on Basingstoke...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
geoff wrote:

I wish!
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

geoff

geoff wrote:

Sticks and stones........................
--
Steve R

Best thing to do, I reckon.
--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Essjay001 wrote:

It can't even do that properly :-)
http://www.satirewire.com/news/0103/outlook.shtml
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:08:44 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Bob Eager) wrote:
: On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:12:28 UTC, John Armstrong
: : > 47    ProNews/2 V1.53.cp
: Sad to say, I bet they're all mine!
Er-hem.
Ian

Ah...sorry! And a later version than me...must get up to date!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
John Armstrong wrote: <snip>

So, Outlook express used for 43% of the postings. Doesn't give the number of individual users for each. Might have a play see if I can get that info out.
So that is a majority for OE. Damn it the Priminister didn't get that much of the vote and he now says what goes. So given that OE is the largest slice shall we go with top posting then? Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:17:26 +0000, parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

When a political party gets elected in the UK. And in fact 43% is considered a significant majority.
Labour got in last time with only 25% (or thereabouts) of the voting population casting a vote for them.
Andrew
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:20:56 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"

since 88% of replies by OE users (compared with 99% by others) are not top posted, it can't be too difficult to do it properly.
--
John

Sorry folks, but Tony's wife is the Catholic. I understand that it's a mixed marriage. Regards Capitol

... ...

--
geoff

OK, just to clarify the definition of "say 98%". I was referring to consumer market PCs. This, I think, is "uk.d-i-y" newsgroup, which to me means that it is a hopefully skilled, amateur, consumer oriented public forum. I've never seen a consumer oriented PC using other than Microsoft being sold over the past 3 years in the English(sometimes!) speaking markets. Walmart have tried to sell various flavours of Linux, but the penetration is too low to register. As I said, if the number of participants is less than the nominal 98% then the group is failing to attract a wide enough user base. This may suit the current users, but all organisations which I have seen which did not maximise their market penetration have failed to survive! Anyway, it's been most entertaining. OT- I found a pack of 60 Stanley knife blades in the local shop yesterday, someone may be interested. Sorry Geoff, I don't think they travel down wires. Regards Capitol

I asked for 100, they sent 500 - enough for me for the time being
--
geoff

Capitol wrote:

Sounds like a M$ press release to me :-)

No, what it shows is that the majority of posters to this NG are smarter than your average PC user.

Look, I know that you've lost face here, but this isn't Japan, there's no need to commit hari-kiri(sp?)!

I quite liked that! Regards Capitol parish wrote in message ...

OE will also send in HTML without this being disabled, and many ISPs remove any attachments.
So your 'standard' newsreader is incapable of actually sending to a newsgroup in the hands of an incompetent.
If you wish to be dictated to by the likes of Gates, then fair enough.
Others don't and will say so.
--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

c> 2) OE ( and now Mozilla) are top and middle posting systems. If you have broken software, the correct response is to replace it or find a way to work around the bugs, not just sit back and look like a pratt.
c> 1) Bottom posting is an historical accident of news readers which have c> become obsolete. No, it is the online reflection of the fact that English is written top to bottom, left to right. Answers come after questions.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_