Re: [OT] Car insurance craziness

The sounds about right. A year later my first insurance, on a "fizzy fifty" was £6.10.

Tell me about it. My eldest daughter is coming up to 17 and SWMBO asked the broker for some quotes (TP only, not even F&T) for the daughter driving the wife's old Metro (998cc). He advised her to look on the 'net as "it will be over £2000 from all the companied they deal with"! The best we've found, so far, on the 'net is £936.

Reply to
parish

But we're talking about insurance. As I said in another post, at 16 my moped cost £6.10 to insure fully comp and I was an apprentice bringing home just over a tenner a week. Can a 16-year-old insure a moped for fully comp for ~60% of their take home pay these days? I think not (unless there are some 16-year-olds on ~£1000 a week).

Reply to
parish

I think not. My LWB defender is a 12 seater, I know they have scrapped the center front seat, but I think the rest are still there in the back/back.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's odd, because I do, the economy is constructed such that deflation would be very, very bad, so you need to pick a rate which is not too low, as the EU people have done.

Yes, because they need to get it up.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Ley

Ah, the dear old Yammy FS1E - I remember riding a friends around the block one day.

Unbelievable isn't it? My daughter is 15 so we've got a couple of years to go, but I'm not looking forward to her getting her first vehicle.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

I tried to put this into perspective for my daughter. It costs ~£5 each way for a taxi into town and pointed out that £2000 would buy 200 two-way taxi trips per year, about 4 per week.

Reply to
parish

IIRC I was quoted over 1500 to get my own insurance on a (old) group 5 car when I started driving 18 years ago!

It the end the only way we get a sensible price, was my mum insured it in her name, but had me added to the policy as a named driver and as the main user. It that way I was able to acquire some no claims and get a bit older so as to bring the prices out of the stratospheare!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Capitol writes

And shouting isn't appreciated either moron

Reply to
geoff

Sorry, Huge has a point on this one:

1: Consistency (bottom, OR top) aids readability. Everyone doing different makes it very difficult to follow a thread.

2: Bottom posting is the accepted way of doing things in practically every newsgroup since the year dot. (Ok, "post" posting is more like it; the principle of replying *after* the bit you are replying to is what counts)

3: Almost everyone on this ng bottom posts, and many will correct previous top postings, so the occasional top poster *really* mucks things up.

4: A short 1 or 2 line top post is often missed (unless I'm unusual) when there's a large posting history, as I see the history and automatically page to the first non-indented bit of text (my reader colours the indents differently, first indent gets green, second red. Non quoted text is black and thus instantly recognisable).

Having said all that, he did rather bombard you with it, so perhaps he could have been a bit more gentle.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

In message , Martin Angove writes

???????

He's consistently top posted despite continual requests, but refuses to comply with the convention. He repeatedly comes up with the childish arrogant reply of this is how I do it, like it or lump it.

Reply to
geoff

OOH! MORE FLATTERY! Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Some of us cant even qualify for JSA at all Steve R

Reply to
Essjay001

3% is very high if you are not working. Bills still have to be paid Steve R
Reply to
Essjay001

Yup you could tour war zones

Reply to
Essjay001

In message , Capitol writes

Hardly

Reply to
geoff

In article , Essjay001 writes

Its the same here *but* you're only covered third party, was that the same in Oman? A good test of insurance is making a claim, as a company we had real problems in the middle east

Reply to
David

In the 60s and 70s yes, it was still possible to get 'any driver' insurance cover. I think it just sort of faded out as people wanted to save money by going for limited driver policies. (It also fulfils people's desire not to allow others to drive their car.)

Reply to
usenet

Stuff that, I demand to know why he's wasting oxygen that could be more usefully employed keeping a whelk alive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I qualified last year, despite remaining a director of my own Ltd. The fact was that the company had no income and no reserves, so couldn't pay salary. Once the necessary checks had been made that we weren't trying it on the Job Centre had no problem paying contributions-based JSA - it is an entitlement for all, providing that you have a healthy record of paying NI. C-based JSA is limited to a maximum of 26 weeks, after that you get diddly squat unless you qualify for income-based JSA (and magically after 26 weeks when you lose C-based you mysteriously become "employed" again as far as Gordon Brown is concerned - go figure!).

It's the I-based JSA that is nasty. Once you fall into that trap you are into fantasy land where the Job Centre can tell you which job you are going to apply for and you can't say "it doesn't pay enough!". Basically if the local dairy need someone to clean the cow dung out of the sheds, you are an instant candidate.

Have you noticed that B&Q seem to have lots of helpful staff in the sheds recently? They don't appear to be the geriatrics of a couple of years ago.