Re: Angle Grinder...

> >Hi All, > >I need to buy an angle grinder to cut some decorative concrete slabs. I've > >tried with a chisel, and they won't break with a neat enough finish. > >So, I've looked around and found them in all sorts of price ranges. > >Looking on screwfix I noticed a 'Kinzo' brand angle grinder that takes the > >larger 9" blades for only £19.99. Has anyone bought / used one of these? Are > >they any good? Amazingly they do a 4½" blade for £6.99!! > >I know for the job I'm doing the smaller blades would be fine, but I may > >need something bigger down the line. > > > >I know that cheap probably means it'll burn out on my third stone, but if > >anyone has one and knows different I'd be keen to know. > >If they are crap - which is a good value one? There's a ferm 4½ at ~£16 and > >a 2200W 9" 'GENERAL' brand one at £40. > >I also saw that there's a black and decker one for about £30 in Homesbase > >(4½") that has a more powerful motor than most on Screwfix. > > > >OK - so I'm confused. Is a known brand lower power one going to last longer > >(and be better to use) than a never heard of brand but more powerful > >machine. > >I'm keen to avoid a repeat of the homebase excel jigsaw and router palava > >(just don't buy HB excel!!) > > > >help! > >Matt > > I bought my angle grinder from Wickes for just under 80 quid. It seems > more than adequate for the task, though on reading some of the > responses in this thread, I now see I could've got a big brand name > item for a similar price.

If the grinder is a grey colour, it is most likley a big name. The Wickes pro range is made by Kress, who are very good.

Reply to
IMM

I needed a grinder for a particular job, so bought a cheapo 9 inch. It did the job, and has lasted several years of occasional use since then. The cheapo ones are much heavier than the decent brands, and that would make a real difference to how tired you felt if you were using one for several hours a day.

Reply to
GB

Interesting. I'm just repairing some secondhand doors for the old Rover with the idea of swapping them once I've got them perfect.

I'm using an old red Wicks 4 1/2 with a twisted wire cup for cleaning prior to welding, and a sort of angled semi flap type for grinding down excess weld - there's plenty of that with me at the moment.

Changing the discs is a pain, so I'm thinking of a second grinder.

The old Wicks one has been fine and was cheap, but has a poor switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A friend of mine acquired 30 odd plain concrete slabs from his neighbours old patio paving and went about cutting them with his 5 inch grinder to pave his side alley. Every one needed cutting to fit the width.. Main problems were 5 inch didn't cut right through the slabs, took a long time, he got through quite a few disks (only a couple of quid each) and the dust buggered up his nice expensive Bosch grinder.

Bought a cheap (£40 ?) 9 inch grinder which did the job in half the time, used only one disks and didn't suffer from sucking in its own dust. Kicked himself for not buying the 9inch grinder in the first place.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Yep, if it were me I'd get a cheapy grinder & spend the money on the diamond discs.

Reply to
adder