Quick fix ( simple) fences?

I would be pleased for some help again. Following the storms three pieces of my boundary fence are down( including posts). I knew they were dodgy- so should be no surprise.

The fence is on top of a boundary wall ( increases height for privacy etc) . The wall is an old Cornish hedge/ stone one and is four feet high ( approx) The fence then brought the height of the boundary up to 10 ft and neither I nor neighbour could see each other. I didn't put the fence up ( nor the wall) . Its also the one which is generally accepted to be "my" boundary . It runs between me and my neighbour ( who is a small holder with a dog, three cats, chickens and three kids.

The is section is about 10 ft from the kitchen window ( down the garden) After it the fence is in tact to the bottom of the garden, where trees take over as boundary. The other side of it the neighbour has his free range chickens running it seems ( I can see them now)

The fence was leaning in to his property yesterday after the storms but he has pushed ( it must have been pushed as the winds were sou' westers and wouldn't have come from the N.East/ East to push it the way its fallen) onto my garden/ path there. Its fully down.

I spoke to OH and he is being a bit stroppy and just said " the wall is the boundary , not the fence, leave it" That leaves us and next door with no privacy ( and his chickens penned because he cant let them out unless they invade me) . Next door hasn't said anything ( yet) but I guess shoving the fence over is effectively saying " repair it".

The storms are over for today ( due back tomorrow) Couldn't do much yesterday as it rained hard even after the gales were over.

So I have two problems a) do I have a legal obligation to repair this fence? Or is the wall the boundary?

b) Can someone tell me a simple and easy way to fix it ( that I can do) ?

I don't want to row the neighbour and I don't want trouble and OH is just plain up for any argument right now. I cant get anyone in to do it, he wont let me.

What would you do?

Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

You don't evenhave to HAVE any fence or boundary marker. But you may choose to do so.

Get a Fence Man in to do it. Easy. Simple. Whilst OH is out.

OH and I just built a complete fence. Some (most) is on our side of the boundary.. bits of it well so. (to miss trees, etc) Some is well on neighbours side of boundary. (to miss trees, etc)

Boundary is still where it was before. No hassle.

My pleasure.

Just discuss with neighbour what you want to do. You MIGHT need access from his side as well!

Reply to
Ian

Go to neighbour. Explain situation. If he wants to keep his chickens = in it's his responsibility. It's not your responsibility to keep them = out.

Consider trading OH in for a new more user friendly model.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

OH never goes out ( he barely gets out of bed except to send callers away - so a no go. Whatever I do I have to be able to do it myself and alone. No help - he wont let anyone in. OK I know that sounds strange OH is getting very strange. I have to love with it. Thanks.

It may well have to be that I leave it down and hope next door doesn't complain,

Reply to
sweetheart

Go to neighbour. Explain situation. If he wants to keep his chickens in it's his responsibility. It's not your responsibility to keep them out.

That may have to be the answer. It would also be easier for next door to fix fencing sine they are on a level and I am trying to fix on top of a wall

Consider trading OH in for a new more user friendly model.

I wish I could. I am getting fed up with the fact he has become a total head case now ( and the GP doesnt see it)

Reply to
sweetheart

That's what I would do - go to the neighbour and conceed ownership of the fence to him. Be done with it.

I am letting my crappy 6' fence fall down on the external boundaries, taking panels to the dump as nature takes its course. I have ahedge anyway for screening.

One day, if the bit between me and neighbour starts to fail, I may conceed that to him - I have no interest in fences, they are a faff and I have no animals that need to be contained.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I dont really want to conceed ownership. It may sound petty but such ownership conceeds about 2ft of my land ( the land which forms the wall boundary from where the fence is , to where the wall runs up my side. I use the top to grow plants. I really didnt want to lose that.

Reply to
sweetheart

My real problem is I am not strong enough to life traditional fence panels or planks or to put posts in. What I need ideally is some metal poles which can be pushed in easily and I could srting some wire netting fencing to them , attaching it with little wire or plastic tags. I did that once i9n a house where the boundary was marked with concrete pilars and wire ( it was a council house) and I just got a roll of wore netting and attached it to the fence wires at 1 ft intervals - lasted forever and kept all animals and everything out.

So what I need is something that will push in easy and then I can attach wire netting to it.

Reply to
sweetheart

snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

s in it's his responsibility. =A0It's not your responsibility to keep them = out.

Just as a point of interest it is generally accepted that the side of the fence that has the posts on it is the owners side (On the assumption that if you are going to erect a fence its going to be on the boundary line as you won't want to be losing any of your real estate )

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

The first thing to say - without wishing to sound sexist - is that erecting 6' fence panels on the top of a 4' wall is no job for a woman. The wind forces are too great, even when it's calm! Very few men would try to do it single-handed. You'll need some help - even if only from your neighbour - but far better to pay someone to do it. If OH won't play ball, get the neighbour to organise it at your expense, if it's your responsibility. [Incidentally, what do the house title deeds say about responsibility for maintaining boundary fences, etc.?]

What sort of posts does/did the fence have - wood or metal? How are/were they fixed to the wall? Ideally, you should have metal posts, 7 or 8 feet long, anchored into the wall by a substantial amount. Alternatively, you could use wooden posts mounted in sockets similar to these

bolted to the top of the wall. Is the top of the wall flat? How sound is it for drilling and setting rawlbolts into?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The deeds are silent but traditionally the house has always maintained all four sides vis hedges and fences ( it has been a field since the doomsday book)

My other neibour once told me that specifically the north side was my responsibility. Each of us takes responsibility for the North boundary. This is the north boundary.

They were wooden postsm driven into concrete in the top of the wall. One of the posts did have a met post. As I tried to explain, I have two feet of land on top of the wall and the boundary is on the edge of that. Its a dirt cornish headge wall ( made up of soil with stones stuck in it and held together with grass and tree roots. - the usual kind of Cornish headge

It was ordinary fencing. Some of it is planked ( thats still standing. These three pieces are interwoven ( or whatever you call it - larch lap? They have been there donkeys years. Were rotten as hell but now the posts have failed, hence they came crashing down - or rather slowly melted onto my neighbours garden and chiclen house . He shoved them vack onto my garden and so we have an 18 ft gap in the fences.

Ideally, you should have metal posts, 7 or 8

Botls wot work as there is nothing to hold them into. Steaks work better ( hammered in) . Thats why I was looking for those t posts they use in temporary building works on sites and such. Or farmes sometimes use as stock fences temporarily. They can just be driven in. The thinner the better as ground will start to give.

Reply to
sweetheart

:~)

No you don't. Even very religious people get divorced or separate.

Cook his chips in liquid paraffin and you will soon get him moving.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Fair enough.

Fencing isn't a hard job. Got any friends who can help? 2 of you can manage a panel and three will make it a breeze. If any posts need replacing, dig a narrow 18-24" deep hole, stick post in and wedge with some old bricks or rocks, pour dry "postcrete" in hole, pack down, water lightly and leave for a few days (it's a weak concrete so takes a while to get any strength). Fix panel (nails or screws).

In fact the hardest part is getting the old post out if it was bedded in concrete - that's the only bit that could be a PITA.

If it's only the panel that's down, 2-3 of you could have a new one nailed in place in 20 minutes.

Or, you could staple or U-nail a bit of mesh fencing over the gap between adjacent posts and grow your plants up that as an easier fix.

Most garden centres will deliver the odd fence panel, postcrete and posts to you.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The position of any fences/walls/etc is nothing to do with the boundary.

The boundaries are as drawn on deeds, etc. Walls and fences are built wherever you (and/or your nighbour) want them.

Doesn't concede ownership of the land.

May concede ownership of fence/wall etc.

(If its on YOUR land, its generally YOURS.)

Reply to
Ian

Reply to
Ian

It's a pig of a job sorting out the concrete the posts went into and you can't just knock meta-posts into the side if you want to use standard panels.

Can't you grow an hedge out of thorn and cherry or apples? A temporary bodge would serve to keep the neighbour's livestock out. Get a neighbour to knock in a few posts and nail the scrap panels back up with bits of 2 x 1.

If you plant fast growing stuff and the bodge lasts through winter, you should be OK for the next few decades.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

eh?

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK.... quick Goggle on "Gardenlaw" throws up 6'6" without planning permission.

Mea partial culpa.

-- Ian

Reply to
Ian

Bodge some cable (washing line?) running between the two good bits of fence and suspend some netting from that? Grow something quick growing up the netting so its covered up next summer and you can take your time sorting out something proper.

As for your other half, I have no useful suggestions apart from a trial separation to see if that bucks up his ideas!

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

but it's only 1.5m against a highway. (Not relevant in this case, I know)

Reply to
charles