Quick shower fix needed

As you said, it looks like a stud wall with PB and then plaster skim on it.... Not a good choice for a shower.

The tile adhesive has also not been applied correctly for a shower (it should have been a thin skim (3mm thick) of waterproof adhesive with ridges on top rather than just the ridges on the back board.

Quick fix: file the hole with some more plasterboard or a bit of ply. Don't bother to re-skim, just level up with a good waterproof adhesive and fix the tiles on again. You won't be able to get the right thickness of adhesive on the right hand tile - so that one will be no better off than before.

Longer term, this does need fixing since there is a fair chance that water is getting through in other places. Hence there is a risk of it feeding dry rot etc.

To fix for good:

You will need to replace the backboard with something that is not absorbent, so either WBP ply with render over, or use one of the cement type ready made boards like Aquapanel that are designed for wet service areas.

It is handy if you can arrange that the wall surface runs down *on* to the tray (i.e. not beside it). Seal round the tray with good silicone. Now retile using a full bed of adhesive and then grout with waterproof grout. Treat with something like Lithofin grout protector to keep it looking nice and add yet more water resistance. Finally silicone all the joins (I prefer to silicone the vertical corner joint between the tiles rather than grout it - that way it is better able to resist any movement that may occur).

Here is one I did earlier:

Also where can I get a replacement Silavent fan?

Don't know.

Reply to
John Rumm

How about quick fix: white duct tape?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In fact, of you only need it to last a week or two, then that and a bit of plastic sheet ought to do the job nicely! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi all,

I have fixed my system clock....

I have removed more tiles and loose plaster and found where the water was getting in. It is a mira 415 and there was a cracked tile under the bezell.

The general game plan is to infill with 2 sheets of 9mm wbp and tile ontop of that, takeing great care to seal round the 415. This should buy me a little time..

I noticed in B&Q there is now a plastic tile sheet for showers, but looks like proper tiles when in place, comments anyone?

Thanks

Reply to
James Salisbury

Hi,

I noticed that some grout was loose in my en-suite shower... I then noticed that the two tilese below this were slightly loose, took them off and

was the result... What is the quickest way of fixing this, so I can save up to do it all properly, looks like the wall was made of plasterboard on a wooden frame and then a board that is now looking like plaster coloured haggis was fixed to the plasterboard. It was then tiled over.

How should I fix this in the short IE tomorrow! term an the long term?