Quick fix ( simple) fences?

I'm confused because I don't remember talking about height - just the depths of the posts...

Reply to
Tim Watts

ISWYM

(Note to self...Must read threads properly.)

Reply to
Ian

... and a new kitchen on the fire insurance :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Suggest to the neighbour he clip the chickens' wings so they can't fly?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ooh-err.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

oops - well we have always had this fence and wall. Its all round the house. As I said, I didn't put it up. The trees at the back are probably 20 ft high. I thought that law only applied in urban gardens?

Reply to
sweetheart

Blimey - "against the highway" ( the lane that is at the front of the house) we have a dirty great 15 ft retaining wall because the house is up above the highway and so is the land. The lane cuts through the valley. On top of that I have a three foot fence. to stop me falling over when I am gardening.

Reply to
sweetheart

... and a new kitchen on the fire insurance :-)

Do me a favour. We have already had a fire in the kitchen when OH tried to cook shredded wheat in the box on the cooker hib and it caught my washing, my work surface and blackened the whole kitchen.

I cleaned up but he just looked and said about the schorched surfaces " oh those are OK", you can get by with that now cant you?" So I havent had my kitchen. I painted it all.

I dont hold out hope for anything really. In three years ( or 12 years - like the bathroom) he might get round to it.

Reply to
sweetheart

Well I am either optimistic or foolhardy. I have ordered up 30 planks of wood and a post from the saw mill ( arrive tomorrow). I am going to try and pick out the old wooden post from its concrete base ( I have found it and it seems solid) and put in a new one and attach the planks to the posts ( the other posts are solid.) It is only the fence panels that have gone.

My mum has said she will help me.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Reply to
sweetheart

If your neighbour told you the moon was made of green cheese, would you believe him?

Quite.

So why do you believe him over this?

If the deeds don't specify which property is responsible for each fence or boundary, then only a court case could sort out ownership. People have bankrupted themselves over boundary problems.

You might want to consider replacing the fencing with pyracantha or berberis stenophylla, either of which will last longer than fencing, and are very good at keeping animals out.

I doubt there is a cost-free method of dealing with the problem no matter what your OH might wish.

IANAL.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

He is an old villager and has nothing to gain from telling me. Had he not said it, I would be maintaining his boundary as well.

It looks ti all intents that the previous owners ( and before) have upkept all the boundaries and fences. In fact probably put most of the fences up.

Thanks

Reply to
sweetheart

The neighbour is giving away his rights to the land, she should be happy with that. If she lives in Cornwall she can finagle more property out of it if she was that sort.

Getting posts into the old concrete is going to be fun. Even with a long drill and scoop to get the dbris out, the new posts won't fit I am sure. It will take more than a potato peeler to shave them down. I'd go with the hedging as was the original concept of that style of fence:

Weatherlawyer