Quick pipe fix...freezer spray?

I've got a small leak in one of the microbore pipes in my central heating system just at a T junction. I reckon it would take about 5 minutes to unscrew the connection to the T joint, trim the leak out of the pipe (it's right beside the T so I'd only need to cut an inch or two) and rejoin the pipe to the T junction.

I've never done any plumbing but I'm vaguely aware that you can get a spray to freeze water in a pipe while you work on it. Does that sound feasible in my situation and where would I get it from? Does it just get sprayed directly onto the other two pipes going into the T junction?

Thanks Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Gibson

It comes in a kit with a can of freezer and a plastic sleeve to go round the pipe. For a T junction you would need enough to freeze 3 separate pipes and keep them frozen! The kits I have seen have two sleeves in, so you might need two kits. It will not work if there is any flow of water, so I hope your leak is small. It might be simpler just to drain the central heating system.

Are you *sure* there is a hole in the pipe? More likely to be a faulty joint in my experience. What sort of fitting is the T-joint?

Reply to
GB

For a

I think I'll get away with one kit. The reason being that the pipe with the hole in it is actually clamped shut a couple of feet from the T joint so it doesn't actually go anywhere...hence no water flow in that direction.

I'm sure-ish that there's a hole because the pipe has got folded over at some point...I'm assuming that it's leaking because of that fold. I'm afraid I'm not sure what type of fitting it is...I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing.

Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Gibson

I'm afraid I'm not sure what type of fitting it is...I'm not very

Is it a compression joint with nuts or a soldered joint?

If soldered forget using a freezing kit anywhere nearby while you re-make it!!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Why not replace the T joint with a striaght coupler, doing away completely with the peice of unused folder over pipe?

Reply to
kmillar

Which TBH means you'd probably be better off draining the system and making the repair that way.

Freezing kits (eg

are all very well, but before you decide to use one, you need to be damned sure you can prepare a plumbing joint properly, and very quickly (ie before it thaws out!), with a 100% guarantee that it won't leak when you're done. Therefore it's really not a beginner's method. I wouldn't call myself an expert plumber or a beginner, but I can tell you I've never had the guts to use a freezing kit myself! :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

You can just imagine the panic setting in when you realise you haven't got things ready ,cut the pipe ,etc and you have run out of gas and it starts to thaw out ... lol Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I was interested to read this, as I have a similar problem - there is no stop-c*ck on the mains supply to my cottage, and a tap needs replacing.

The connection is a plastic (Hydrodair?) pipe, and I was advised either to freeze it or to squeeze it. I tried the latter, but was not able to make much impact with a pipe-grip. I thought of using a vice, but I am slightly worried about cracking the pipe. Is it actually possible to shut off the supply safely in this way?

I was advised not to use a freeze kit for the reason you give - I was told it would only last 10-15 minutes. But it struck me that there must be some way of freezing for longer, eg using carbon-dioxide "snow" or some electrical freezer?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

A modern plastic pipe fitted with no stopcock anywhere between taps and the water main sounds a bit unlikely - you sure? :-)

Yes but personally I still don't fancy it!

once had a similar problem - internal stopcock needed replacing but there was no stopcock in the street. Got a plumber in to do it with his freezing kit; did a great job but I think I held my breath for the whole time the frozen pipe was cut!

David

Reply to
Lobster

just at a

going into

You will need 3 freezer kits, as 10 quid+ a go. You don't get long, so you have to know what you are doing, no stopping for a think about what to do ........ On the freezer kits, follow the instructions EXACTLY, else it won't freeze. B&Q will sell them, as will a plum,bers merchant.

I guess I'd use one of those leak patch kits on this, or drain down, and take my time to do a proper job.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I'd look at getting the supply company to fit/find/fix the stop c*ck.

Personally I would not attempt to squeeze this pipe and then sleep at night even if the squeezing did stop the water.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Hi Tim

I used one for the first time last year when I fitted a stop c*ck in my sister in laws kitchen. Similar problem, couldn't find the outside stopcock for love or money.

I got everything ready in advance, followed the instructions to the letter and it was a great success. Worked so well we couldn't have a cuppa for about 35 mins! Dave

Reply to
Magician

Well you've got more bottle than me, mate!

Reply to
Lobster

In fact it was the local representative of the supply company - the local authority, in our case - who advised me to squeeze the pipe to stop the flow (and advised me against using a freeze kit, on the grounds that it would not give me enough time).

He didn't seem to feel it was his job to find the stop c*ck, which has been cemented or tarmac-ed over.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I've got an interesting story about pipe freezing kits, if you have a moment ..... (and bottle).

I needed a new kitchen tap fitted, but the stop c*ck was jammed solid. So, I helped my builder freeze the pipe successfully, and we replaced the tap. Then, job done, I went to work.

The builder thought it would be a good idea to replace the stop c*ck whilst he was at it. Good idea! He got all the bits ready assembled, etc. Then he realised that he could not freeze the pipe, as there was not enough space to wrap the kit round it.

So, he just got his pipe slice out and cut through the mains pipe, anyway. The flat is on the second floor of a ten storey block, so there was a good head of water. He tells me that he almost drowned, just from the spray.

We ended up calling out the water company to turn the supply off to the entire estate. Then the water company guy insisted on fitting the new main stop c*ck himself - I wonder why?

Actually, the builder is excellent at carpentry, but I am not convinced about his plumbing.

Geoff

Reply to
GB

Lobster wrote; Well you've got more bottle than me, mate!

I just figured that if they had been around for 10 years + they must work or people wouldn't keep buying them!

Plus I bought mine from a local 'real' plumbing shop where the staff actually know what they are talking about.

I trust their advice, they said it would work and it did.

They keep on doing this, telling me what will work and then it does. Guess where I buy all my plumbing stuff now?

Dave

Reply to
Magician

OK - it's a compression joint with nuts.

I assume I just freeze the other two pipes coming into the joint, unscrew the nut to the leaky pipe, cut the leaky bit out, reattach the pipe and tighten the nut?

Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Gibson

I suppose I could but that would require purchasing the said coupler and attaching the two pipes to it in the short time I'd have the pipes frozen.

Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Gibson

You will need a new olive, some wire wool and a file to clean things up, and some jointing compound or ptfe tape.

Good luck. This is not the obvious first job to try your hand at. It would be a lot less fraught if you simply drained the system.

Reply to
GB

If you must try this... A full bore valve, turned on, makes this so much easier... Getting the olive on is going to be fun! Hmm. Cuprofit?

Reply to
Ian Stirling