Quick drying wood primer

How quick do 'quick drying' wood primers dry? I mean before they can be glossed over?

Any brands/types that are quicker than others?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dunno about brands, but the water bases acrylic stuff can be rubbed down in about 6-8 hours.

Cellulose car body filler primer is a bit faster.

But 'glossed over'? Whatever happened to the undercoat my good man!?

Primer is there to fill the grain and key the rest on top, the color is in the undercoat, the top gloss is simply a hard resistant layer. It could just as well be clear glaze if the undercoat is right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd consider the recommended drying time for water based primer as a

*minimum* before putting anything oil based on top.

I've had problems putting oil based gloss straight onto touch dry water based primer.

Oil based gloss straight onto touch dry oil based primer should be / less/ problematic.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In a heat wave they'll be dry almost before the brush leaves the surface, but invariably they're re-coatable in 2 hours indoors. Amazing things, emulsions. The solids particles gang up and push the water molecules on to the surface, so they dry faster than water itself. Not a lot of people know that.....

The acrylics are now labelled "primer/undercoat".

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Recoatable is not the same as rubbable down..and any water trapped under an oil based gloss is..distinctly dodgy..

They may well be, but I haven't seen them in 'breathless banana' - just white and grey IIRC.

I guess if all you want is a scabby grainy brushmarked white gloss finish, then OK.

I was talking about the full monty, wood that looks like plastic, its so smooth, with real colour depth..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher