Quick drying filler

I have to collect my daughter from her student house at the weekend, I will arrive at approx 08:00 and at 09:30 her landlord arrives for the handover. In the meantime I have to load the car, remove a TV bracket and a couple of other things from the walls and fill/paint the holes. Does anybody know a fairly quick setting filler, I have seen mention on here of car body filler, does it set hard enough to slap paint on fairly quickly? Any other suggestions?

Thanks Peter.

Reply to
PJK

bracket

holes.

Yes car body filler can be made to set in less than 10 mins, however probably ordinary decorators caulk from the tube would be okay if the holes are small, and the walls are dry, and you are using emulsion paint.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" wrote

If you're trying to do this without the lanlord's knowledge, then car body filler is probably not the best idea (based on Isopon which I use). It stinks and would be a give-away/attract attention without a doubt. If this isn't an issue then cbf is good stuff

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

however

doubt.

The landlord won't care so long as the wall looks ok and is re-lettable! I speak as a landlord

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Use lightweight filler from polyfilla..it can be painted BEFORE ITS SET. Otherwise for deep stuff use plaster..sets off in an hour or so.

Then sand/paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So a TV bracket that is well fitted and left in place would be a bonus then? If so the OP could just leave the bracket on the wall and save a load of work for a £10 piece of metal. When I was a student I asked the landlord about fitting a cabinet above the sink in my room. He said no problem as long as I left it there.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:32:32 +0100, PJK mused:

Someone gave me a tube of quick drying filler in a large toothpaste tube type package, Polyfilla brand IIRC. It was pretty much set before I had chance to get it in the holes and seemed to be pretty well paintable within 30 mins or so. This was in an office where the staff have a liking for the heating to be at about 20% above the maximum working temp of the system so that may have aided curing times.

Reply to
Lurch

message

emulsion

My attitude to damage and suchlike is very much influenced by how the tenents have behaved towards me during the tenancy. If they've always paid on time, asked permission for things they need to ask for, and have generally kept the place clean and tidy with just the odd accidental bit of damage, I learn over backwards to make sure that they get their full deposit back. If on the otherhand the cooker is filthy, the bath has never been cleaned and the painting on walls has been wrecked by drawing pins / nails & blutack (which leaves greasy marks that cannot easily be painted over) then I get in professional cleaners and decorators and the tenents / guarantors have to foot the entire bill even if more than the deposit.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's a bit like car body filler, you mix in a catalyst to the putty like stuff - working time 10 minutes, sand and paint after 30 mins. Made for wood repairs but it will probably do for plaster. A tin is a tenner from B&Q.

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Use one of the 'lightweight' fillers like 'One Strike'

or Wickes 'Once'
will fill a 2" deep hole, need hardly any sanding & can be over painted in 15 mins. I don't use anything else since I found them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wouldn't; to add to what others have already said this stuff is complete overkill for this application... relatively expensive, sets incredibly hard, is very sticky and messy for a novice to use and could need quite a bit of sanding. There are plenty of pots and tubes of stuff at B&Q intended for decorating which would be much more appropriate, and for a very small repair like this would probably be less obtrusive.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Ordinary polyfilla mixed slightly stiff can be gently painted on immeidately, no need to wait for it to dry.

NT

Reply to
meow2222