Qualified Electricians

I appreciate that this is not a classic D-I-Y question but from reading the regular posts on matters electrical I assume that there are some Electricians or related disciplines reading.

I am interested in qualifying as an electrician. Why you ask, because I have done much of the electrical theory during my Elec Eng Degree and I want to switch careers to one that gets me out of the city and still able to make a living. That and it is a subject that I have a basic knowlege of the pratical side also.

Are there ways to get C&G or equivalent qualifications as an electrician without going through the full apprenticeship route. I am too old to make tea for 2 years and cant afford to survive on minimum wage. Can I sit the theory exams for example and follow up with some installation and practical courses and exams.

Reply to
Michael Walsh

Depending on where you are based, many of the regional electricity companies have a hankering for people with electrical engineering degrees

Scottish Power even have a special website somewhere for people with degrees looking for employment.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Colin Wilson writes

Jeez, you'd think the bean counters had sacked all the Engineers at privatisation or something ;-)

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Michael Walsh presented the following explanation :

You can go along to a college and just take the exams, rather than do the course plus exams, assuming you already know the subject. Talk to your local college.

However, even with the qualifications I suspect it may not be enough. The theory is just a small part of the equation and you would need to have several years of this to generally satisfy employers to take your on as being qualified and capable.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They had - that`s why they need to hire someone with a chance of knowing what they`re doing :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson