Static Load units

I am trying to determine the correct size of anti-vibration suspension mounts to use for suspending a load from my workshop ceiling.

I'm looking at some Traxiflex types as sold by RS and perhaps others.

However, the loadings are specified in daN

I haven't come across that unit before. Does anybody know how it is defined or relates to kg?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

There is a Japanese unit of weight called a dan which is 60kg and confusingly a chinese one which equals 50 kg

probably not much help :-)

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

That would be the Dekanewton (10 Newtons). Near as dammit it is 1kg. (0.980665 for the pedantic)

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

others.

Or is it the reciprocal?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Bugger. 1.02. Still well within any FOS attached. In any case g varies by about 1% around the earth's surface.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

This conversion chart

1.01971621298

you wonder how thay can be so accurate

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

It's the reciprocal of .980665 1/10 of standard g. Like the standard atmosphere at

101.325 kPa, the real world is a bit wayward with respect to the theoretical. Gravity is normally measured locally by a pendulum whose period is accurately timed. Some orbiting satellites are also useful.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

orbiting

Yes but they've added whole orders of accuracy beyond the six digits of .980665 I could accept 1.019716

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Please ignore stupid post above

Reply to
Nick Brooks

orbiting

Thanks John and Nick

I wondered whether this was a percentage of G thing.

At any rate, the selection criteria for these mounts is 2:1 so 2% won't be an issue.

many thanks

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

US conversion booklet that translates some strange old units, but this one is excellent. BTW one that it does not cover that my book does is:

Convert gin to dry martini: conversion ratio is six to one

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

That's not quite accurate - it's missing the part about phoning a friend and getting them to describe a photo of a bottle of vermouth...

Reply to
Neil Jones