Plywood

Probably a silly question, but what do North Americans call plywood? Plywood, perhaps? I know they call hardboard something else (can't remember what), but is ply the same here and there?

Thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

It is the same naming. The thickness can be a shade different,

Hardboard is generally known as Masonite after the company that introduced it. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

Excellent! Thanks, andy. I knew hardboard was a 'proper noun', but just couldn't remember which one. For some reason I kept thinking Homasite, but was sure it was wrong.

Reply to
Graeme

There is Homasote, which is a company making building products from recycled materials, principally sound deadening boards.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

Some thin ply they call lauan, I am not sure what the difference is.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Their thick, grey, cardboardy stuff was much used by macrame artists in the

60s and 70s for work boards, as it's stiff, sturdy, cheapish, and takes T-pins easily. We bought 8'x4' sheets of it, cut them into suitable sizes, packaged them with T-pins, and sold them at a tidy profit!
Reply to
S Viemeister

It's a hardwood genus - family of species also known as Meranti. It is used in types of plywood made to poor standards and sold cheaply in the U.S. and originates from the rainforests of Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

that of course in no sleight on the high quality ones that they produce though ....

Reply to
David Hemmings

I think you mean slight = slur not sleight = presdigitation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not at all. It was more the issue of taking rain forest timbers and putting them into commodity materials....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

oops, heh, yep.

Reply to
David Hemmings

well better that (i.e. being used) than borneos 'accidental' forest fires that can be seen from space, alongside the concommital reduction in native primate populations plummeting. Of course the unforunate thing is they slash these forests just to plants non sustainable crops e.g. sugar beet that will only grow for several seasons before the ground is worthless to get a quick buck. Hopefully before it is too late a proper regime will be enforced where any felling must be accompanied by appropriate reforestation.

Reply to
David Hemmings

Yes of course. Ultimately it entails money being thrown at the problem and the end consumer being willing to pay more.