Load bearing beams

Hi, I've read thru recent posts (titles mainly), but not found anything relating directly to my question:

I want to put two beams in the garage strong enough to hang a shell of a car from.

The shell should weigh in at 1/2 ton max, and I would like to hang it from the centre of the beam (worst case).

The beam should be run left/right and so the span should be about 10'

There are no walls to place the beams on, so they will have to be on posts. I am planning on using the garage walls to prevent the arrangement from left/right movement, and braceing along the walls between the posts to prevent forward/backwards movement, but I plan to lift the car with a chain block at each end, so there should be no load in either of these directions.

So is there anything inheriently wrong with my plan?

What thickness of wood should I be looking for to support 1/2 ton, centrally from a 10' span?

Cheers Will

Reply to
William Munns

Could you not use two metal box section A frames with block and tackle? Jon

Reply to
Jon

"Jon" wrote in news:c4ue78$lgl$ snipped-for-privacy@thorium.cix.co.uk:

The plan is to winch it up there, then rachet strap it to the beam (in addition to the winch), and use the space underneth.

Reply to
William Munns

Are you planning on keeping the shell suspended for some time? Do you intend to walk below the suspended shell? Jon

Reply to
Jon

"Jon" wrote in news:c4ufjr$m6b$1 @thorium.cix.co.uk:

Yes, 6 months

/s/walk/work yes, thats kinda the point!

Reply to
William Munns

If that was me underneath it, I'd want it supported on stands as well as being strapped up. Jon

Reply to
Jon

I would then use an 8" RSJ supported by an A frame on each side made out of

4" square tube.

You suggest hanging the car from one central point, I would be concerned that this approach could buckle the roof, I would support the car from two points directly above each side!

Reply to
Stuart

Someone gave me a link to joists but I saved it on a browser that went the way of all flesh recently. Searh for joists. The span will give you the loading. I think 7 x 2's should do but you could bolt a pair together to be certain they are faily cheap. If you can select your ow choose straight timber with few or no knots. Certainly no large dead knotts in the centre.

You aught to make a framework up to act as bracing. I wouldn't want to advise you on that.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

William Munns wrote

Yes

Forget wood, use steel box section.

Seek out a steel fabricator if you can't MIG weld.

HTH

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

"Stuart" wrote in news:c4va8c$1o1$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I plan to have two such beams, one at the rear and one at the front of the car, and I plan to put a chain hoist on each beam, and split the load further down the chain onto the front spring mounts at the back, and the chassis rails at the front. the 1/2 ton should be spread across the two beams, but I'd prefer each beam to be able to take the full weight.

Reply to
William Munns

William Munns submitted this idea :

Wood? I think a steel RSJ would be much more suitable as well as being of a more predictable load bearing strength. I have no idea of the size or how to calculate it, but obviously the deeper the RSJ, the thinner it can be.

I would then think in terms of an A frame arrangement at either end of the beam to support it. These would be bolted to the walls so they can't move. What sort of walls do you have on the garage?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield