PVA

Is PVA suitable for gluing wood in an area that "may" get wet? Also is Gripfix suitable a similar location?

TIA

Reply to
timegoesby

PVA doesn't generally like water. Aliphatic Resins fare better.

I like Titebond 2 which passes the American ANSI Type 2 specifications for water-resistance.

Great initial grab, dries fast, cleans up a treat & pretty near waterproof.

No experience of Gripfix.

Reply to
david lang

PVA doesn't mind a quick soaking, but it will fail if it's left even slightly damp for long periods.

Titebond III (green label) is a similar aliphatic resin glue (populatr in the USA) and quite a few UK woodworkers use it instead of PVA. It's touted as having better water resistance, but usenet experience suggests that it's unreliable.

I don't know what "Gripfix" is (isn't that for dentures?)

Any of the solvent-based cartridge glues will laugh at water, any of the water-based solvent-free(sic) ones will fall apart while you watch if they ever get damp.

Polyurethane woodglues are also water resistant.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Never used Titebond III but have used Titebond II on outdoor projects for ages and never noticed any sort of problem.

Reply to
david lang

This is the general opinion from the US. The "improved" version is actually worse.

Reply to
Andy Dingley