pushfit are they reliable?

Page 1 of 5
im soon planning to move a few rads but instead of using soldered joints im tempted to use the pushfit fittings . ive used a few in the past with no problems but what about with a high pressurised combi boiler ch system? any experiences/advice or opinions would be really useful.

If a complete DIYer and no experience of soldered joints ten use copper and brass/copper push-fits.

On 28 Nov 2003 16:10:19 -0800, all snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (mark al) wrote:

As long as you use good quality products, e.g. Speedfit, HEP2O, Marley.... then they work fine.
The maker's instructions need to be followed carefully, especially regarding cutting the pipe square with a proper tubing cutter for plastic. Pipe inserts should be used where indicated by the fitting type. Some of the manufacturers such as Speedfit have a twist action lock ring for extra security and perhaps an extra O-ring in the fitting.
Barrier pipe should be used. This prevents oxygen diffusion into the water through the pipe. It is now the most common type, but does cost a little more.
The fittings are not aesthetically pleasing. Generally it is better to use copper tube for the connections to the valves and convert to plastic with a fitting out of sight. The plastic fittings will accept copper tube, but do make sure that it is properly deburred to avoid slicing the O-ring.
Another option, if you don't fancy soldering or compression fittings is that there are push fit fittings for copper tube, for example Yorkshire Fittings' Tectite products.
I used a mixture of Speedfit pipe with their fittings copper pipe with Tectite fittings for a secondary heating loop for my workshop. This is run via a heat exchanger to separate it from the main house system and is separately sealed and pressurised to 1.5 - 2.0 bar, temperatures to 80 degrees.
There have been no problems with it at all.
The only common restriction with plastic is not to use it withing a metre of the boiler .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
(mark al) wrote:

Speedfit? Please!

2nd rate

Fine along with Osma Gold. Avoid Polyplumb

IMM wrote:

IMM, tenth rate, at best.

..and our redident clown says....

Yes he does make us all laugh. Life and soul of a party no doubt.

I've found that it works perfectly well
Can you cite specific and verifiable instances of problems?

I have used it without problems as well.

Evidence?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

C'mon - you should know by now that IMM doesn't rely on inferior reasoning tools such as 'evidence' - he just /knows/.
--
Grunff

Oh, yes, sorry, I forgot. We're all a bunch of armatures.
Enough of this - I'd better 'motor' over to the plumber's merchants before they close......
(Well, you have to drop them in when you can...)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes, well 99.99% of you.

????

writes

that was cruel Andy, you know he can't work these out
--
David

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:59:55 +0000, Davi wrote:

There no mention of armatures in the sales leaflet so how could he.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

...the witful David says....

..is it the way he tells em?...

Andy Hall wrote:

Well I have some polyplumb stuff, and being my first attempt at pushfit, I did it 'by the book'
Pressure tested it to 10 bar, it held.
*shrug*.
IMM is as usual talking out of someones catalogue.
I don't like pushfit that much, but it works.

Sometimes!

writes

I've never had a failure yet in my 97 years as a plumbing heating designing engineer
--
David

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:01:52 +0000, David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

Crikey! Still working at 115? ;)
PoP

He used to install slate tanks....probably still does.

No he's 96 years 23 hrs & 55 mins as his first plumbing job was 'breaking water'.
Mike P.

and what a mess that was, should have used push fit...
--
David