Property Ladder hurrah!

Page 1 of 2
At last!!
Someone gets a "spanking" for ignoring well meant advice. ;-)
Mark S.
Mark S. wrote:

I'm watching it at the moment and the more I see, the more I want them to fail. They just don't seem to have any clue at all.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

Apart from the extremely un-realistic budget of 5K, i feel sorry for thier friends.
He (the idiot IMO) stated at the end of the program, with a smug grin, that considering the amount of effort he had put in, then the profit wasn't bad.
Considering his best friend was doing the vast majority of the work, then the best friend should have told him to *uck off and put in a proper invoice!
I know they get these people in because it makes good television but it would be nice if someone took some advice!
What about a celebrity property ladder and SB being the guest as well as the presenter. Give her a run down house with limited budget and sit back and watch.
May make people listen to her in the future.

Me too. I would have no qualms about helping in a decorating party, or redoing the garden party, of friends who were doing up their own *home* but I would not help if the reason was pure speculation, not unless I was paid!
Colin
Rich wrote:

Hear hear. I had a friend once, who got wankers cramp in a kneee, decided he couldn't use a clutch, and biought an auotomatic Maxi, which promptly dumped all its gearbox oil on teh pavement.
In a panic he appealed to me to help, and after a fairly hard weekends work, involving sebveral trips to motor factors and scrapyards I managed to replace part of teh gearbox casing, the nut on teh mainshaft, its bearing and the lock washer that had never been fotted at teh factory...
He sold it for 350 more than he bought it for. I got a free spaghetti bolognese and a glass of wine.
Later on he stiffed me for over several million. Arguably. But thats another story.

She's a complete cow. Arrogant little tart. Another Anne Robinson clone.
Not only do we now have 'its frightfully clever to be stupid' (celebrity XXXXX) we now have its frightfully clever to pretend to be clever and put people down.
I preferred teh old BBC, format where it was frightfully clever to be clever, and not put people down at all.

No No No No, NatPhil! Noohhh! She has wonderful knockers. Robinson is simply [as above], with no redeeming features whatsoever.

Absolutely with you on that one, old chap.
John

And a delightful arse.

Robinson is an annoying squeaky-voiced harridan.

Totally agree.
--

Dave

Poor old Tony wotisname eh?..

--
Tony Sayer

assembled some random characters on their keyboard which said:

Another fix of SB ;-)
Colin M
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:31:45 +0000 (UTC), Colin M

The woman featured seemed to be trying to out front her. ;-)
Mark S.

I thought that idea of having the downstairs bathroom was pure inspiration, allowing a separate bathroom and still having a dining area and a larger kitchen. Until she said it, I couldn't think of a solution to the house's odd layout. It's such a shame the couple were too thick to listen to her.
Christian.

Why not an internal bathroom at the top of the stairs, positioned between the two bedrooms? Could have used that redundant Velux rather more effectively too!
David
"Lobster" wrote "Christian McArdle" wrote | > I thought that idea of having the downstairs bathroom was pure | > inspiration, allowing a separate bathroom and still having a | > dining area and a larger kitchen. | Why not an internal bathroom at the top of the stairs, positioned | between the two bedrooms? Could have used that redundant Velux | rather more effectively too!
ARAICR the stairs ran across the whole width of the house, so would probably have involved some even more tortuous corridor arrangements. There wasn't any space to spare.
Although I think a downstairs bathroom for the second bedroom could be an adverse selling point for a family home (little Johnny wanting a wee in the middle of the night) for an adult house-share the asset of having a second bathroom would outweight the disadvantage of it being downstairs, and buy-to-let was a major target market. I think it would have been about the best to do with an awkward house.
But what twits spend about 3,500 on a kitchen in a 2-up 2-down and don't even fit a draining board.
They did tidy the back yard up nicely though, which is something overlooked by most of the comba^Wcontestants.
Owain

I did not see the second half of the programme
Did they replace the roof?
How much did it sell for?
YorkieDave
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:00:49 -0000, David Kent

Yes, begrudgingly. They also added a skylight to the bathroom at the same time.

92,000 IIRC. That gave them a profit of just 500 based on the 75,000 valuation before they decided to renovate. Of course, they disputed that it would have sold for 75 at the time and so they estimated their development profit as a higher proportion of the total profit (they bought for 50,000 I think.) Their total budget tripled from their original 5,000 to 15,000.
Colin
Two points about "Property Ladder": 1) Is anyone else getting stick from their partner as they yell "idiot" (or worse) at the telly when some naiive, greedy and diy-thick plonker comes out with some drivel about cost/timescales/what-the-buyer-will-like ?
2) I wonder what the buyers of these properties experience as they watch the program some weeks or months later... do they feel "done" or what? Is the fact that the property has been on the telly a plus or a minus for future resale?
I guess overall it irks me that I have the skills but not the courage to delve into this work area... well, maybe someday.
Mungo ;-)

No. Both me and my partner yell "idiot" (or "you stupid thick b*stard who's going to lose lots of money and all their friends") in unison.
Christian.

You're not alone. I have developed a reputation amongst SWMBO's family as a complete and utter pessimist and cynic and nit-picked.....
a) because I shout at the screen and generally give up on a film every time computer screen output is accompanied by chirping noises from said computer;
b) because I do not believe ANY estimates of cost or effort or timescales given on home make-over programs (they get all their labour for free and therefore conveniently forget to factor it into their estimates)
c) because I point out the myriad planning and building regs restrictions/expense/delays for a lot of what is shown on the screen
d) because of all the nasties that I see them doing with plumbing and electrics.

Well, I might be most upset, but then I'm not the kind of person to buy a newly done-up house! At least I'd have evidence if they'd done anything really naughty....
:-)
Richard
-- Richard Sampson
RichardS wrote:

I looked at that roof, and thought 'bugger me, thats a doddle, any pro roofing company would have that stripped in one day, felted and battened in tow, and finished professionally in three, cost about 3 grand'.
They took two weeks and it was 2 1/2 grand. Total plonkers

Check!
Hahaha! I thought I was the only one that did that, along with analogue lockswitches that beep and security doors that make noises!

Has anyone here had a 'changing rooms' type experience? I don't believe for a minute that some of those things are really done in 2 days......

You're talking about DIY SOS here aren't you :)

We're not either. It irks me that the results of property ladder style stuff always looks like either a bloody show house that's not summat I'd imagine anyone living in, or an office complex! -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs