plastic edging and corners for plywood box construction?

Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right- angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where I can get plastic parts like this?

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

B&Q,ect These will be by the wood beading section?as for corners miter the ends of the plastic.

Reply to
George

Or is that Mitre. :-P

Reply to
George

================================== The most likely source is 'plastic extrusions' in your local Yellow Pages, which will produce something like this:

these extrusions are readily available I don't think they're really intended for the kind of job you have in mind (box construction) because of the difficulty of getting satisfactory fixings although an adhesive might work for light use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You want te stuff that the music business uses for flightcases and equipment boxes..somewhere in Kent.

Couldn't find them,but check here

The Natural Philosopher

on the website.

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Thanks, I just popped over to see what B&Q had and although there are varous size angled section stuff in plastic and aluminium, they seem too more useful for covering edges rather than joining them, although this may do at a pinch.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

That looks to be very close to what I need, thanks. Maybe some square section timber with rabbets to allow for the plastic, could be glued to the inside for strengthening purposes. Either that or a similar section extrusion as the plastic but in aluminium.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

Corners come from any music / DJ equipment shop, or from Maplin (who list them, but don't seem to carry them in stock in the shops any more)

For strip, then I'd look at aluminium for strength. Otherwise just round the edge of your plywood to avoid catching the sharp edge, maybe cover it with cabinet cloth.

A biscuit jointer (they're cheap these days) is the quickest and easiest way to make plywood boxes. A simple router with a roundover cutter does the edges nicely too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, that sort of stuff would be very useful.These cases usually have corner pieces too. I bought a small tool case from Wickes similar to this a while ago. The only trouble is, it's heavy even with nothing in the case. lightness combined with strengh would be the ideal for my current project.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

A model (railway, aircraft, boat) type shop. The would probably have alloy angle too which might do what you need.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks, I looked and didn't see any of the long extrusions there but there are some nice 3 edge corner pieces that might come in handy.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

All at amusing prices.

B&Q sell both the plastic and the alloy angle, also at amusing prices. If such usage is non-trivial then it's worth looking at trade suppliers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I can't think of any fittings for *joining* edges, rather than protecting them, that you'd fit externally; normally these would be fitted to the internal corner: there are loads of different types of those available.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The stuff Cicero mentioned and linked to seems close.

does say that this may not be strong enough though. Maybe if the inner leaves were deeper it would give more surface area to glue to.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

================================== If this is to be a 'labour of love' then you might consider making your own from fibreglass. I once saw a plywood canoe made by stitching the plywood sections together with thick copper wire. The joints in the plywood were then covered with fibreglass strips and resin and the finished job was sanded down leaving barely a trace of the copper stitching wire.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Mirror dinghies were like that. Never mind that though, I saw an article on bamboo bikes and want to make one.

Reply to
dennis

================================== I didn't know about the dinghies, and I didn't know if you were serious about bamboo bikes, but according to Google it's true. Scientists are trying to produce sustainable bikes for African rural areas. I think they would get quicker results by dredging our local canals for discarded bikes and sending them for use in Africa.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

That method would probably produce some pretty strong joints. Lightness and clean lines are what I need to produce here. What the box is intended to be is a 4' tall model of a tower case computer with all the main outward details, like CD drive, floppy drive etc.. I want the top lidded though, so it can be opened to store and access various items. I did consider aluminium sheet but that would be quite weighty if thick enough to be adequately rigid, especially the embossed stuff. I lifted a sheet at B&Q today and it was surprisingly heavy, compared with what I'm hoping for.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio