plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Hi chaps
    I'm contemplating building a Wendy house for the grand-daughter. This
would be an alternative to buying one of the 'Little Tykes' playhouses.
There are quite a few plans around on the 'net (mostly American), but they
all seem to be pretty serious construction - almost like building a small
shed. I had in mind something semi-portable, that could be fairly easily
dismantled and moved or put away.

I wondered about constructing open frames from something like 2"x2" and then
strectching/stapling fabric over them, a bit like sets in the theatre I
guess. Has anyone done something like this, or got any better ideas?

    Thanks a lot
    J^n

Re: plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house
You could use a tent-like construction of plastic poles (yellow gas
pipe?) or bamboo poles with corner connectors fed into seams in
fabric.

Or sew a 5-sided box up in canvas and put it over a convenient table
(with the open side at the ground).

Or get large correx sheets and cut them to intersect.

Owain

Re: plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house

Buy a plastic green house and paint it to look like a Wendy house.

Now anyone recommend paints for use on clear PVC?

Re: plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house
If it's really PVC, you want the old style (high volatiles) gloss
paint, top coat only. It solvent-welds into the surface of PVC,
and so will never come off. Great for painting PVC soil stacks,
etc. No idea if the replacement low volatiles product works, but
wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

Just don't let the grand-daughter smoke in there...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house

The tent idea should work - many years ago my mother made something similar
for the grandkids out of cloth and (IIRC) broom handles and stuff.
These days I would suggest looking at fibreglass tent poles for the frame -
much lighter than 2*2 and not very expensive in camping shops.
However I would first check to see how much 'play tents' are because I
suspect someone may already be filling this niche.
In fact
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wendy+house+tent+uk
turns up a large number of variations at under ?20.
I think you would be hard pressed to beat that price for the equivalent DIY
construction.

So, what are your requirements?
How big?
How robust?
Indoor/outdoor/outdoor+waterproof?

You could go with 2*2 bracketed together to make a frame then covered with
cloth or heavyweight plastic.
I made a couple of 3' * 3'6" dummy window frames to build round before
fitting the final plastic windows.
These were from 1.75" * 1.75" which is probably nominal 2*2 with right angle
brackets screwed at each corner.
Black plastic DPC sheet stapled over for weather tightness.
Still there behind the shed (just went and measured) because they look
'useful'.

Do be aware that if you use a rigid construction method such as this then
the storage of the frame will be a pain as it will take up quite a lot of
space.

HTH

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Re: plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house
Hi David

Yes, I take the point that there may be cheaper ways than making one. That's
not always the most important thing though...

'play tent' looks like a good search term, thanks for that ;-)

Yes, I know. If there was a way of getting a decent 'kit of parts' for a
demountable frame, similar to fibreglass tent poles (there'd need to be
jointing pieces as well), that would be great ... but I haven't found
anything so far. Closest is this 'spare frame' set:

http://www.wingreen.co.uk/store/view/item/id/354/cat/24/spare-pole-sets /

    Cheers
    J^n

Re: plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house
Hmm, the 'merkins seem to be quite big on 'furniture grade PVC tubing' for
making things like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Kid-Size-Construction-Kit-from-PVC-Pipe /

but the equivalent in the UK looks like it would cost a fortune...

    J^n

Re: plans/construction ideas for lightweight wendy house
25 broom handles make a  pentagon base dome,
joints made of three 6inche lengths of hosepipe
  bolted together in the middle.

[g]

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread