Treating Wendy House

Hi all, we've bought an ex-display Wendy House from a Shed Company. The house has been out all season, and needs treating sooner rather than later.

Since it's a play-house we'd like to paint it in nice kid's colours, but it appears that the only good preservatives are in dull fence colours.

Talking to the paint-expert in B & Q Depot, he said we could use a nice Ronseal colour, the apply a clear varnish. We don't really want shiny walls however.

The Ronseal brochure says that their "Garden Makeover" paints include a wax preservative.

Do you real experts out there think that a wax-based colourant needs a top-coat of varnish?

We'd like to get 10 years out of the Wendy house, and would be happy to treat it annually.

Cheers,

Ian.

Reply to
ian mayo

If you want solid colour, use paint. Something like Dulux Trade Weathershield Quick Drying Satin, on top of the preservative primer and undercoat. It'll last multiples of the length of shed & fence preservative and comes in no less than 620 colours. Avoid dark colours if possible. Light colours are longer lasting, as they reflect more UV.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try having a look at Jotun paints products. I have a garden building that I wanted to treat with a good quality finish which would last as well as not being too dull or synthetically bright or glossy..

I used their Trebitt product, which should last you until the kids are almost grown up. For my application, I wanted quite neutral colours but this product can be coloured to anything you like. I used three coats and the finish is approximately satin and slightly translucent. I sprayed it, but it could be brushed.

The UK site

is not very good, but the original Norwegian one is. Go to
then click on 'Male ute' followed by 'Farge og Ideer' and then click on some of the links. There is an online colour tool as well.

You can contact their UK number by phone and they will send you a colour chart.

is one of several UK suppliers.

Reply to
Andy Hall