Ping the diy welders ..

Hi All,

I've just got this years bill from BOC for my Porta-Pac and another year when it hasn't been sparked up. :-(

I was keeping it because 'you never know when you might need it' but a couple of mates have them locally so as long as I could get round to them I could use their stuff in any case (I don't like doing that etc but ..).

I have still got my SIP arc set (not worth getting rid of) and a decent little Lincoln MIG unit (with BOC Argoshield, also 50 quid a year and unused for a few [1]) for most my 'welding' needs.

So, wanting to retain the functions of 'gas' (things like light heating / brazing etc) I was considering backing all the bottles and buying one of those little gas sets you see [2] for about £125 quid (less than a years rental on my Porta-Pac). :-(

Ok, I know the small bottles aren't as economical or flexible but I assume less / smaller risk (fire / explosion), take up less space and would probably be much cheaper for my current usage pattern.

If I really needed to have a set at home again then I have a BOC centre 200 yards away. ;-)

So, anyone have one of these little sets please or can recommend a particular make (and why please. I'm in Nth London). Something like this maybe: ?

the best ..

T i m

p.s. I already have a tiny portable / disposable set that I have had for years (that I'm about to go and dig out) and have used it for some simple thin sheet steel brazing to good effect (on Mums washing machine) but I fancied something a bit more modern and slightly higher capacity.

[1] I already have a disposable Argon/Co2 bottle and reg ready to replace the Argoshield but not tried it yet. [2] Some seem aimed at refrigeration engineers etc?
Reply to
T i m

I'm in a similar position as trade dries up, I have the air products pt10 oxyacetylene on a 5year term for 300 quid but will surrender it next time around. I would still be able to draw bottles on a monthly basis, I do this for coogar at the moment.

For one off jobs with the mig I just keep a 2kg CO2 fire extinguisher, although it's bad compared with proper mig gas but I found it much better than flux cored wire.

I have also looked at mapp gas and there is an electrically preheated propane torch that Drax were trying to launch which will apparently do everything oxy-acetylene will do except weld steel.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

And I think that's why I am willing to give up my current bottles, the fact that I can get some more fairly easily if the need arises (even though at extra expense, I do feel a bit bad taking fairly full bottles back and all my mates bottles are fairly fresh as well so can't do them a favour).

I've not tried the cored wire but think I bought some (in case I ever ran out of gas etc) ;-)

I thought that was the case already with these little sets, they will do everything oxy/act will do except weld? Although it appears they can also weld if the job is light enough. ;-)

the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

I saw someone using a Porta-pac when I last had a proper job 25 years ago! I discovered that BOC also supplied bottles exactly double that size (small F O2 and small M DA) so made up my own trolley to suit. ISTR the contract was for 3 years rather than annual. Farming led to a lot more cutting work so I changed to size K O2 and large F DA.

Things have quietened down now and, as you say, it's an expensive way of ensuring you can undo wheel nuts:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A plasma cutter should do that. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

Ok .. I think all my bottles are larger than the smallest (better vfm to rent and refill) but it's just the ongoing cost when unused that's frustrating.

It is!

From memory I think my Argoshield (Y?) is ~£60 / year so at only ~£1 / week I suppose it might be considered affordable (especially if you use it that is)?

Same with the PortaPac .. if I go down from the Y/J O2/DA at £138/y to the baby E/K at nearer £90/Y rental ... the refill costs aren't half and you have the dreaded 'transaction fee', hmm .. :-(

Nope, I think I'm gonna have to drop the PortaPac (and buy a mini brazing set) and will just keep the Y size Argoshield (the smaller Argoshield is still £48/Y) .... for now anyway .. ?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. There seems to be talk of some more competition / options coming along so we (d-i-y welders) might get some better deals?

T i m

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Also 25 years ago, I heard the use of *gouging rods* mentioned. The application was removing welded down chequer plate covers on an *in floor* industrial coolant system. I have looked for these rods since and assumed I had misunderstood.

Is there such a thing? And if so, what is the proper terminology?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, They are high current with a black coating (graphite I would think), and they don't deposit metal but melt and allow air?? to oxidise it out of the gouge. Messy but OK for cutting cast iron which resists an oxy cutter.

Nowadays I wouldn't consider them and do most cutting by angle grinder as they have become so cheap to use compared with the 70s.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Ah. Ta. The application is removing weld fillets from places not accessible to an angle grinder.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd still favour oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane for this.

AJH

Reply to
andrew