This years DIY projects (long !)

Just noticed it's 2016 :) so have a few potential jobs to sort out.
Most pressingly, is the deterioration in SWMBOs MS has meant she now uses footplates all the time in the house. This means getting around - despite the fact we're in a bungalow - is problematic.
Entry/egress is fine, now I've made a ramp with decking and levelled the patio with decking.
Currently, the biggest single issue is out utility room, which contains a fridge-freezer, and washing machine. Because this is a room (which is off a sort of corridor) SWMBO has to park her wheelchair in the doorway. Now she's stuck in the wheelchair, it's very difficult to load/unload the machine (or use the FF).
One idea I had, was to turn the utility "room" into a recessed alcove, by diamond-cutter cutting the walls away either side of the door. Very messy and dusty. However it would then allow the washing machine and FF to be turned 90 degrees, and easily accessed.
Alternatively, we now have a spare room (used to be our lads bedroom). It's easy for SWMBO to wheel into and out of. I could put the FF and washing machine in there (with the minor advantage that this is where we dry clothes !). However, there's no water or waste provision. The room has 2 walls to the outside and is next to the bathroom, so is there some possibility there ?
Moving, of course, is a suggestion. However, having spent 2 years looking at new builds now, it's not a preferred option. Quite apart from the style and quality, we currently have 1,400 sq. ft, and I have yet to see anything with that much in the sub 5 bedroom market.
So I was wondering if uk.d-i-y had any comments or thoughts, things to bear in mind, or previous experience ?

If you have water and drainage in an adjacent room I'd say it's eminently do-able.
It might be worth taking some professional advice (architect and/or social services) so that you can be sure that you're planning for future needs, not just present ones.
It would be a shame to rush into any modifications that might need to be re-done in the nearish future.
Tim
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:17:33 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Excellent points, thank you.
On 11/01/2016 15:17, Tim+ wrote:

Perhaps Social Services could refer you to/recommend an Occupational Therapist who would come in and help you to consider options, as has been said, with reference to the future
Malcolm
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:37:37 +0000, Malcolm Race wrote:

BTDTGTTS, is probably the politest response to that. 20 years experience (29 for SWMBO) has sadly taught us to avoid these people - no matter how well meaning. Luckily austerity means we don't feature on their radar anymore anyway.

A photo of the utility room would help. However, would simpler solutions li ke making the door swing out instead of in help. Alternatively replace the door with half doors that fold or swing independently. I would certainly ta ke the opportunity to open out the doorway for easier wheelchair access if the layout of the utility room permits. If you already have a utility room seems a shame not to exhaust all the possibilities before sacrificing a bed room.
Richard
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 07:44:27 -0800, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Door already swings out (I rehinged it when we moved in). When I say "room" it's really a bricked alcove with a door. It's no even 1m deep - just enough to take a washing machine one end, and the FF the other.
I agree about losing a room, but need to be pragmatic. We're not going to have any more kids, so it's not losing a room in that sense.

Perhaps just move the fridge/freezer to the spare room creating space to move the washing m/c or possibly re-position it on a strong platform?
--
Tim Lamb

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:29:14 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Hmmm ...
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:00:00 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Or you could take the laundry on...?

Seems to be a very strong possibility.

Self-build?
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:17:37 +0000, Adrian wrote:

I am. However, I am keenly aware that the more I do "because it's easier" the more it presses emotionally on SWMBO.

It's how I'm thinking ...

Not something I have ever ruled out. However, lack of experience leads to a strong worry about being fleeced right royally. Besides, absent a lottery win, I can't see how it can be funded ? Especially given that one of the biggest "cons" about moving is our current location. Edge of a big city, but within 15 minutes of all medical appointments. Access to buses within 100m. Doctors and pharmacies 2 minutes walk away. I suspect if those criteria were fed into a geolocating service, there are few - if any - places in the UK that would be suitable.
On 11/01/2016 15:44, Jethro_uk wrote:

As Tim says, converting the bedroom is unlikely to pose any major problems given these other significant factors. Worth talking to an architect since you have the cash (you don't have to use them).

You don't need a diamond cutter for that, just a big hammer (it's a little less messy).
Is it a suporting wall?
--
Adam

On 2016-01-11, Jethro_uk wrote:

I don't have any suggestions, but I offer my best wishes for her & for your projects.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:37:39 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:

Not directly, but a tip that worked for us, for when the OP is out with Mrs OP...
A friend comes to visit and sometimes has difficulty negotiating tight corners in the house (we have portable ramps so small steps are not an issue). We spin the wheelchair on four small Sliderz...it works well.