Pillar Drill

I'm thinking of buying a Pillar Drill for the workshop, it'll be a floor standing model. I normally only do wood, so it doesn't need to built for drilling titanium ;-) I might drill the odd bit of Aly or Acrylic too though.

ATM I have an attachment for my radial arm saw (Eumenia) that takes a power drill, but it's not stiff enough and repeatability is a bit problem.

Any suggestions on models, makes etc.?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

You often see good deals on refurbished Sealey ones on ebay.

I bought a PDM260F about 6 months ago for under £300 from a seller called "recontooling" which has proved to be an excellent machine. I mainly use it for drilling steel. I notice he doesn't have any drills for sale however!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

===============================

Look under 'Metalworking' for a reasonable selection.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

|I'm thinking of buying a Pillar Drill for the workshop, it'll be a floor |standing model. I normally only do wood, so it doesn't need to built |for drilling titanium ;-) I might drill the odd bit of Aly or Acrylic |too though. | |ATM I have an attachment for my radial arm saw (Eumenia) that takes a |power drill, but it's not stiff enough and repeatability is a bit problem. | |Any suggestions on models, makes etc.?

Do *not* forget to clamp the work when drilling. Rotating work is spectacular, and dodgy in the extreme.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Not knowing how much use I would have for it plus being tight for space I bought one of the cheap Chinese bench top pillar drills some time ago. Been a perfectly adequate tool, but certainly if I was going into the market again I would make sure the tool had a longer drilling capacity. I also have my doubts that for drilling wood a wide range of drill speeds is necessary.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Or a new one without the Sealey badge for £230 delivered :-).

at

Peter Parry

Mine is permanently on the slowest speed. Worth checking how much slop there is on the moving pillar (dunno what it's called) too. Although adjustable, the groove the machine screw bears in might not be accurately enough machined to minimise this without binding somewhere on the travel.

I agree about the capacity - with a vice in place there's not enough clearance with longer drills.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

However they are different models. 1610mm high vs 1710mm at a quick glance.

You're right though, a different badge = cheaper.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Apart from Axminster all I can find are Sealey (and the similar Chester one --- thanks).

Did Delta stop importing due to the UK-overzealous-EU nanny rules? Sealey seem to have an almost monopoly as seen from the internet.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow