Part P(the first year)

Just had the ceiling skimmed recently. The plasterer said that private work reduced massively in 2005, as people just did not have enough spare cash because of fuel and taxation costs rising.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

That's interesting, it correlates in the right direction. Wonder if it accounts for all the drop-off or not?

Turning your point around, I wonder if lack of dosh might see an increase in DIY.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Sorry - being a bit thick - I'm not quite following...

are you saying that of any given set of dwellings, in a year, you might expect 1/12 to have something Part-P notifiable done to their heating?

If we round that off to 1/10 vs 1/1000 BNAs, that implies 99% of all such jobs are done by professionals and 1% DIY/other. That seems, cough, unlikely :-O

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I presume that self-cert notifications would not show up on the building notice application search anyway...?

A third of 25% - so say 8% of your total jobs are involving something that could be under part pee?

It would be interesting to know what percentage of DIYers submit a BNA... I would guess it tending toward a nice round number!

Reply to
John Rumm

Note he said "self cert" and not BNA.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lets say typical lifetime of elec install is 30 years, during which it is modified maybe 4 times. Total 5 works per 30 years per house. If Initial work + 25% of later works are notifiable, thats 2 notifiables per house per 30 years, or 1/15th notifiable work per house per year.

It may not be that accurate, but not too far off. Puts a new light on things.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Possibly, but I would have guessed at more than 5 mods per 30 years...

I think I have done at least five jobs in my house (and six in other peoples) in the last 12 years that would have been notifiable...

Reply to
John Rumm

So what? Who says it was not like that before you bought it yourself?!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Makes it a fraction of a percent then

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Re fall off in 2005. This website looks quite frightening from a business confidence viewpoint.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

tiled roof conservatories, which amounts to a quarter of our sales."

"It's not an extension Mr BCO; it's a tiled roof conservatory!"

Reply to
Tony Bryer

No it's not, it's my new shed!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

It WAS like that when I bought it, but that's not the point - the point was that I legally couldn't change it if I wanted to - therefore giving me and excuse not to go to the effort of carrying out a PITA job. We were discussing the fact that Part P could (and probably will) cause problems in the future as people do unorthodox things in order to be in compliance (such as running lots of overloaded extension leads instead of fitting extra sockets).

Reply to
Richard Conway

The use of trailing sockets on kitchen worktops for one! I suppose the RCD will go is anything liquid gets poured over one. Mind if there isn't one, is it legal to fit a RCD without BCO?

Reply to
Fred

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:45:52 -0000,it is alleged that "Fred" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

A plugin [powerbreaker style] rcd, yes. Another kind, probably counts as 'altering circuit protection' and therefore would require permits and inspections and so forth.

I saw my first "post part P outdoor socket kit" in a branch of The Range the other day, it consisted of an RCD plug, 3m of 1.5mm^2 white flex, some clips, 4 wall plugs and screws, and a cheap weathertight socket.

Great. Part Pee is encouraging people to use flex as fixed wiring and outdoors at that. How UV stable _is_ white flex anyway?

At least they supplied the correct flex glands for the socket.

Of course when someone gets killed by overuse of extension cords, it will be 'their fault for not calling an electrician' rather than 'the government's fault'

Reply to
Chip

Pun intended ?

Let's hope it's not in a 'special location'

;-)

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

I am already registered for Part-Piss and currently ratifying it with a qualification.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Great for when someone borrows the RCD to use on another socket and forgets to bring it back, and then someone else just plugs the hanging plug directly into the socket so they can look at the pretty water fountain!

Reply to
Richard Conway

It is a good thing. Stops cowboy operators, its intention.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Doctor Drivel wrote

It's probably increased the willingness of the public to employ 'cowboy' electricians now that those who are conforming with the legislation are pricing themselves out of the market.

Reply to
Alan