Painting internal doors

New internal doors - modern. Some Howdens Shaker, some 4 panel.

Gloss or satin? Which would you choose?

Reply to
mjb

Whatever SWMBO wanted :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , mjb writes

Eggshell

Reply to
fred

Satinwood, but an oil based one. It's more hardwearing and doesn't mark as easily as a water based paint.

Reply to
Piers James

In message , mjb writes

I tend to prefer a satin finish, but more to the point, what do you prefer really?

Reply to
chris French

Gloss is more hard wearing and less prone to marking from hoovering etc. All paint starts out gloss, but satin, eggshell and matt contain mineral additives which inevitably weaken the film a little.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've used satin in rooms with lots of natural light, and gloss in dark and dull rooms to help light them up...

Reply to
Maria

I tend to prefer gloss when I can get a really excellent finish.

I have done some of my doors in Satin but have the frames in Gloss. I like it.

Reply to
John

I've stripped every door in this (Victorian) house back to wood to get a good finish! People think I'm nuts, but I can't bear the sight of layers of crusty paint...

That sounds good - I might try that!

Reply to
Maria

IMHO Gloss, every time, oil based, never water based. Anything else looks like gloss that went wrong.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I'm in the process of re-painting the 18 doors I replaced and painted in satin earlier this year.

The satin looked OK at first but soon came to look grey and grubby with all manner of marks showing. The two I've glossed so far look much, much better.

'nuff said...