OT Wealth Transfer.

I the panels are flat (horizontal) they don't face any direction.

harry

A £10,000 investment in Fundsmith in 2010 when the fund started is now worth about £25,000. Do the maths.

Plenty of funds have doubled in value since 2010. Individual share holdings have done even better and inside an ISA are also tax free, with the added bonus that the increase in capital value is also tax free, unlike your panels that have no residual value, and if redefined as toxic waste could well land you with a big bill for disposal.

Your income isn't 'guaranteed' because any future government can move the goalposts whenever it sees fit. And you won't be able to run wailing to the EU 'uman rights lawyers.

Few, if any of the more recent 'get-rich-quick' (at the neighbours expense) PV installations are 10 years old, so failure statistics are yet to materialise.

Reply to
Andrew

All panels are flat, but when installed horizontally (inefficiently) they face *every* direction.

Reply to
Andrew

we can all use hindsight to come up with a plan that gave us the growth.

the question is

how do we know which one it is going to be before we invest.

I have this little anecdote to explain

If, 30 something years ago when I first had 1000 to invest I had bought Microsoft shares I would now be a multi millionaire.

But 30 years ago Microsoft was a little know company that almost no Brits had heard of, and no analyst would have recommended as a "buy"

The up and coming tech company of the period was Sinclair so that is where most people would have invested, and lost the lot

Most of mine have gone down over that period.

tim

Reply to
tim...

I bought Acorn which became ARM. I sold my ARM shares a few years ago...

se without the gumption.

Hindsight is a jolly fine thing. And I said risk free.

Reply to
harry

A change of government is never 'risk-free'.

What governments give with one hand they take away with the other.

10 years ago AIM shares could not be held in an ISA, so that left SIPPS or taxable investment dealing account. Capital gains and income were tax free in the former, but the latter rendered you liable to CGT at 40% and income tax, so naturally anyone with 'foresight' would buy their AIM shares in a SIPP. Like for example, ASOS, available for 3.5p per share in 2004.

Roll on 10 years to Feb 2014 and your ASOS shares are now £70 per share, so if you had been clever or lucky to buy £8,000 worth in 2004 you would now have about £16 million.

In a taxable dealing account you would now have to pay

28% on their sale, but in your 'tax-free' SIPP Gordon Brown has imposed a LifeTime Allowance of about £1.25 million with a 55% tax on lump sums taken out in excess. So that means effectively *double* that tax on a 'tax free' savings account.

As I said, nothing is guaranteed or risk-free.

Reply to
Andrew

Except FIT payments.

Reply to
harry

I've had a look at morningstar (no it's not the red commie rag) and since 2011 the only funds that have lost money are generally latin american, metals-related or some of the so-called 'absolute return' funds (always avoid those).

Virtually everything else has gone up. Even my Aviva managed fund (60% equities) has performed as well as a FTSE100 tracker.

Even my IWI Oriel Global fund with its eye-watering 2.5% annual charge has doubled since 2010.

I'm curious to know the names of the funds that you have invested in ?.

Reply to
Andrew

They aren't guaranteed. Dream on if you think a future government is not going to renege on its 'guarantee'. All that is needed is a political party to read the tea leaves, notice that poor peoples electric bills are being increased to line the pockets of wealthy people, and they could well make it an election manifesto to cut the PV subsidies to householders (but leave the commercial farms alone). Individual householders are easy meat so you won't be able to do anything about it.

If this party were to win a majority, that's it - game over. The House Of Layabouts won't object because it was in the election manifesto. The UK courts will do what the government tells them to do, and the EU courts won't have any say whatsoever, because remember it was people like you who voted Brexit.

Reply to
Andrew

What's that mean? Does UK Housing Benefit count?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Count as what exactly ?

Don't forget that immigrants don't come to the UK to claim benifits.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They don't generally, but there are anomalies where multiple partners are concerned.

Reply to
Fredxxx

You answered your own question. Electricity price increases are caused not by FIT but by profiteering. Current FIT rates are much lower than mine. The early rates were an inducement to get the ignorant interested. Only the REALLY ignorant failed to get on board. Such as yourself.

Reply to
harry

What has partners got to do with it ? It either kids or vunerable people get one of those in the family and you g et free accomedation that's the deal. The council won't put anyone in an un suitable property. They wonlt let boys and girls share a room (not sure of the cut-off ages. This is whyb the Romaianin looking for any job and after not being able to find one and not being able to find a home knew that if h e had his wiofe and 5 kids in tow the chances of him being given a house in creaes dramasically.

Reply to
whisky-dave