What's happening here? Ping

I'm supposed to be pinging 224, but it shows it pinging 183 which is unreachable, yet then reports stats for 224.

C:\Users\Harry>ping 10.131.97.224

Pinging 10.131.97.224 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable. Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable. Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable. Reply from 10.131.97.183: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 10.131.97.224: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Not quite, your PC is 183, so 183 is saying 224 is unreachable

Reply to
Andy Burns

That looks just plain wrong. What operating system?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Which OS do you think could interpret a failure message as success?

Reply to
Ian <$

I'm a networking tyro but - unlike some other posters - that seems to me neither wholly surprising nor a failure as such nor something to which Unix and Linux are immune. Search for "ping gives result for a different ip address" and you'll find examples of what can cause it.

Just don't ask me to resolve it :)

Reply to
Robin

yeah, tracrt and nslookup time!

Reply to
SH

No other OS I know of interprets an ICMP error response as a successful ping response :)

Hint: We're laughing at the summary line, not the host unreachable.

Reply to
Ian <$

do you have a split subnet? in linux i would want to see your client subnet configuration and default route with 'ifconfig -a' and 'route'. I cant remember the windoze commands.

it LOOKS like your default route is 10.131.97.183, and you are subnetted to some other /25 or so subnet

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

use C>ipconfig /all and tell us what it sez...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While it does seem an odd way of doing it, there might be some sort of sense to it. Having got a response back that the destination host was unreachable does mean that the packets were not lost, just that they could not be passed on, unlike if there were just no response and each attempt timed out.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Fair enough if I have been wrong in interrupting that as (to paraphrase) no more than "I counted 4 packets out and I counted 4 replies, so none were lost" - ie nothing about which if any address was reached.

Reply to
Robin

It's a perfectly normal windows message,

.183 is the machine doing the pinging of the .224 machine, the 183 machine is reporting that the 224 machine is not reachable, it's different from "no reply".

Reply to
Andy Burns

tracert won't help much as both addrs are on the same subnet (assuming typical /24 masks) and if you can't ping by numeric addr, then DNS doesn't enter into it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's .224 which is unreachable, and it is .183 which is telling you so. The 'unreachable' messages wouldn't be counted as replies (just as error messages) by any sensible operating system and the summary should stay 100% loss.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Wonder if something is stuck in the ARP cache.

Try: arp -d *

(at elevated command prompt)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Unfortunately it might be as simple as the local connection saying 'I am not on the same network as the destination'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher