OT: Very OT! Finding a builder you can trust

Too right: in my BCO days one customer was more than pleased with the worst extension I'd ever seen and was far from appreciative of my efforts to try and get it up to some sort of minimum standard, whilst another sent a builder who had done a very fair job *18* pages of alleged defects.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

ask in local pub .... recommendation will be best method

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Well that will be an advantage then.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

As previously pointed out word of mouth recommendation is best ... unless you are English and building a holiday home, in that case best to avoid any Meibion Glynd?r builders or very good fire Insurance could be necessary.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Joe Pubic .. a great bloke to deal with eh;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

This one was just one person. He did get a helper for the plastering (which was done well).

Reply to
Mark

Absolutely. The builder I used here had a brilliant chippie and brickie. All the builder did was drive the van and look after the ordering, etc. The brickie died and the chippie left. The builder then ceased trading.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They will ALL go through the underwear drawers.............

Reply to
ARW

Probably not at this time of year - they will have just finished the lambing season and will be looking at 'their' offspring :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A mousetrap or two, stashed just under the top layer, should take care of that.

Reply to
S Viemeister

On 22 Apr 2014, "Andrew Mawson" grunted:

Why do they always have to do that? It really, really gets up my nose [1].

I have an intense dislike of racists, or people who have a thing about particular countries or national groups, but my God the Welsh really try my patience on that score.

David [1] Own question answered.

Reply to
Lobster

Because humans have evolved to be tribal for very good reasons of survival. Distrust of the 'outsider' is in every race, and attempts to suppress is to be politically correct are doomed to failure in the long term. Prejudice is another inbuilt defense mechanism - acting now based on prior experience. My previous dog was prejudiced against Black Labradors for the very good reason he'd had a bad experience of an aggressive one. Any other colour of Labrador, or black dogs of another breed he was fine with.

If we introduce a new batch of chicken into the chicken run, the new ones will flock together and stay apart from the original ones - this persists for days, even weeks until they integrate. (As an aside, to avoid a massive fight they get introduced to the coop when they are settling down for the night and old and new are sprayed with orange scent so they all smell the same, otherwise they would fight.)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Hence the phrase *pecking order*. Very apparent in a herd of dairy cows.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Good sense but totally wasted in the current climate

Reply to
stuart noble

Any in any case they might just recommend their mate who is struggling to get work cos they're no good.

Reply to
Mark

And bi/multilingual people often swap languages sometimes in mid-sentence because some concepts are easier to express in one language than another.

Reply to
Mark

In article , ARW scribeth thus

Umm ... how do you knowest that guv;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

On 24 Apr 2014, Mark grunted:

Yeah, right - ever *been* to Wales?

Reply to
Lobster

Many times.

Reply to
Mark

Likewise. In fact, I'm about to pop over the border to my nearest shop. Which is quite probably nearer to Llandrindod Wells than the nearest Welsh-speaking pub is.

B'sides, why on _earth_ do some people apparently believe they have some kind of a right to be able to eavesdrop on everybody else's conversation in a public place?

Reply to
Adrian