You can trust the fridge...

You can't though, can you? We've learned that.

I got home from work today, other half upstairs having a soak. In the kitchen i'm confronted with the smell of something electrical about to set on fire, it's a specific whiff isn't it?

The dishwasher was on, they get hot so I wondered if it was that then noticed the fridge door was ajar, closer inspection something had toppled over within preventing the door shutting properly, the stink coming off it suggested it was roasting hot. It's not a shit one either, it's a Bosch.

I'm not sure if it would have gone up (I tend to hope not) but it didn't inspire any confidence.

So just a heads up really, keep an eye on the fridge.

Reply to
R D S

All that happens on mine if the door is left open a bit is ice around the opening, which is peculiar since its a frost free design. I imagine trying to cool the whole kitchen might just be considered bad usage. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Would you notice a large amount of ice on the cold plate at the back? It'll probably waste extra energy over the next few hours melting it off

Reply to
Andy Burns

ROFLMAO!

Bosch are total shit

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't leave it on overnight! :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Effing thing cost me 300 quid, and it's only an undercounter one!

Reply to
R D S

Not that canard! (Unless you have a "shop" fridge with the condenser outside.)

Reply to
Max Demian

There is a strange perception that German engineering is better than anyone else's. The reality is that German *marketing* is better than anyone else's.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not in this case to be fair to us though I had assumed they were decent probably down to the reasons you state. Like for like i'll save the money and go for something like Beko, especially with something as relatively simple as a fridge.

We bought this fridge solely because our kitchen is tight for space and it has well proportioned drawers rather than shelves, it is infinitely more usable than a standard fridge.

It's tatty and worn now but sadly I can't find anything like it to replace it with. It's an idea that plainly didn't catch on.

Reply to
R D S

I think it is naive to assume anything from a brand name. You need to examine the item for yourself and decide if it is what you want - within the confines of modern production methods. Many brands are made in several countries and anyway, it is the engineering Design that matters - not the ethnicity of the operatives. Things should be made and processes designed to take out variablity.

Reply to
John

someone hasn't bought silverline :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

Turns out it was the fridge interior bulb.

And it probably isn't the original, so further heads up, replace the fridge bulb like for like.

Reply to
R D S

I replace with LED these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our experience is that cheap washing machines (when used at least once a day) need replacing (with the attendant logistics and money) or major repair at least every 5 years. Our last Miele and my brother's Miele were fit and forget (aside of a couple of door seals) for 20 years. £££s per annum, about the same probably, but fit and forget.

Reply to
chrispvholmes

Wouldn't work on the cheapest Liebherr fridge/freezer because they have a 'winter' switch. This sends power to the internal light via a resistor in the thermostat, when thr dorr is closed. This tricks the motor into working, and stopping the freezer from de-thawing when the room is below a certain termperature.

Reply to
Andrew

Miele were well made and more to the point were actually designed.

But that reflects in the price. They know they last 10 years so they charge 5 times as much!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Current washing machine is a Bosch - purchased because it was the only one of a small handful of slimline (2/3rds depth) machines available at the time So far its lasted 12 years, and the only thing that's broken was the heating element.

The washing machine at the place before that was a Hotpoint washer dryer- new motor brushes, new timer board, new waste pump, and that was in the days before they added the spontaneous combustion feature.

Reply to
John Kenyon

We?ve pretty well come to the conclusion that washing machines and dishwashers typically last about 6-7 years these days. We hunt ones out with 5 year a warranty and replace them if they fail after the 5 years are up, unless it is something simple I came fix using spares I have collected or can buy cheaply.

The happy days of our Ariston lasting 17 + years with only minor attention are long passed.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Last dishwasher lasted 30 years. I look for ones with no warranty. The trays do rot though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Both our washer/dryer and dishwasher lasted 15+ years with no call-outs and were finally replaced by ones having a 10-year parts guarantee.

Reply to
Spike