OT: VE day warplanes

How so? Being able to glide requires an integral airframe. AIUI the Lockerbie 747 was a set of components and people falling at speed whilst still at several thousand feet.

If you are going to open your mouth try to ensure you foot is well clear of it.

Reply to
Brimstone

Nah, it's just that they weren't designed to take two combis.

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Then add them & sod the practicality... one port, one starboard - it's a wing-wing situation!

Reply to
RichardS

Probably.

Turbo-props are more reliable and more economic to run while AVTUR is more likely to be available than AVGAS.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It is highly improbable that the BoB flight Lanc would be permitted to demonstrate that today.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Because we are, or were a few decades ago, free men and not serfs. Only a serf has to carry a card to prove who he is and kowtow to the bureaucrats who demand it.

Our grandparents forced the government to bring an end to ID cards after WWII because they served no purpose and were merely being used by officious bureaucrats to interfere with the activities of the law-abiding. Why the hell would anyone but a meddling bureaucrat want the bloody things back?

It's a real shame that so few people in this country have any balls anymore, and most are so eager to become serfs.

Mark

Reply to
mmaker

Sorry to disappoint you but people in the UK have never had any "balls" other wise we'd have had a revolution a long time ago.

Reply to
Brimstone

"balls"

We did: it was called the Civil War, when our ancestors defeated the king and had his head chopped off.

Of course with hindsight it was probably a mistake, but at least it did help to keep the royalty in line afterwards.

Mark

Reply to
mmaker

Doesn't quite happen like that in reality.

Reply to
Conor

No but plenty have been rushed into hospital and been given common painkilling drugs or even penicillin, have gone into anaphylactic shock / had other reaction and needed further emergency treatment.

Stop being stupid.

Reply to
Conor

Which is a good reason for those susceptible to wear a medical band or disc which does not require decryption and can be worn at all times such as engaging in sporting activities or just sitting at home - if someone suffers from a medical emergency sitting in the garden or while jogging do you think that the paramedics will spend time searching for his ID card or that even if found the ambulance will contain a decoder?

Axel

Reply to
axel

Exactly. I am allergic to cephalosporins (common antibiotic) and I wear a small bracelet. Basic info on the bracelet and more can be obtained by contacting the number on the bracelet. Cheap, easy, effective. But it's MY choice.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hear, hear.

Reply to
Huge

No more need for "CORKSCREW RIGHT".

Reply to
soup

Yes - but few of them are flying in USA/Europe and those which are were ones which for some reason had low airframe hours. John Travolta's is the classic example of this.

Compare this with the one on show at Berlin airport which Lufthansa persauded Boeing to give a temporary reprieve until it got there after the re-unification. Boeing were sure glad to certify that as permanently unairworthy once it got there so that it could never be moved out.

Reply to
Mike

Agreed. But Duxford is not owned or run by the RAF and there are lots of private pilots buzzing the locality

Unless you count the fact the USA is permanently at war with somebody or the other, would you care to explain this to their pilots at the various East Anglian airbases then.

In any case it isn't the case. Military aircraft can fly low level training missions over large swathes of the UK. Try that in a private plane and you'll lose your licence.

Reply to
Mike

Totally agree. But when this drunk does hit me damage is usually limited to me and him. When a plane goes down in a town the casualties can be enormous.

The real comparison should be that the car and commercial aircraft are needed and so have to be tolerated, whereas show aircraft are like racing cars and should be limited to flying, or at least performing, over private land.

Reply to
Mike

To allow pilots (RAF and private) to piss around in the skies rather than getting on doing something constructive with their flying hours. By all means piss around over your own private land but don't do it over mine !

Reply to
Mike

You have a weird sense of entertainment.

Reply to
Mike

Maybe not so compatible after all!

Reply to